Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to put the kawasaki race kit in this winter (ie. race cams, gaskets, springs, velocity stacks ect. ect.) but i wanna put oversized pistons in also while i have it torn down. Can anyone give me link (relevent to our particluar bikes 03' zx 600 RR) to a site to purchase pistons. I emailed dan kyle today, so maybe he can give me a lead, i also emailed muzzys. thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The race kit will make it unsuitable for the street. The kit raises the compression ratio by using thinner gaskets to the point that pump gas will not work. This also dramatically reduces engine life which is not a big deal on a race bike but is on a street bike.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
How much will the thinner gaskets raise the compression because the '04RR's have a 13.5:1 ratio and the '03's have a 13:1?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, i dont think engine life will be reduced substantially just with cams and gaskets installed. but i could be wrong, ill check though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took a bike to the track last week. The bike was purchased with the Kawi Kit and Velocity Stack already installed. I ran regular gas and the bike felt weak in some areas... Then I went back to the track and used Race fuel... The bike picked up.

Does the race kit play a crucial part in this - where the bike will perform weaker with regular gas vs. racing gas? I know race gas gives some HP but not alot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is a lot more to the kit than velocity stacks and gaskets. The most expensive parts are the exhaust system and the adjustable ECU which comes to about $3,000 I believe. The way I understand it there are several gaskets that allow the compression ratio to be tailored. Higher compression requires higher octane fuel. While pump gas goes up to 93-94 race gas goes well beyond that. Race gas is also formulated differently to give more power which is a seperate issue.

·
Registered
534 Posts
is ther an item number for the race kit?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is not one number for the kit. Someone posted the individual numbers a while back. I think I added all the bits and pieces and it came to about $5K.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the parts to the race kit.

1.adjustable ecu 1400.00

2.camshafts and springs 800.00

3.velocity stacks 100.00

4.Head and base gaskets 60.00

5.Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system 1500.00

This does not include the fork springs, steering damper bracket. Or installation charges.

So for about 3900.00 (retail) which no one should ever pay that anywayz, you can get the full race kit. Im not gonna opt for the programable ECU cause the power commmander will do the job just fine if your not out making a living racing bikes. I went to my dealer this last weekend and he is working me up a quote for the race cams, velocity stacks, head gaskets, and two millimeter oversized pistons. Im not having any luck locating oversized pistons for the RR model though. Dan kyle said he has 2mill oversized for the 636 but it would be 3 mill oversized for my RR. He told me that the 3 mill oversized would work on the RR but it would take some head work or sumpin. im so dumb i cant keep up with Dans intelligence so im still looking. And bye the way, thanks dan for replying so quickly to my email. Although i opted to buy a Akrapovic for my bike, I would highly recommend the Arata system to anyone just because of Dankyleusa customer service.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The kit (including velocity stacks, gaskets, etc) raises the compression ratio significantly. SW is right, you will not be able to run the same regular pump gas, and your engine life (due to higher compression and heat and revs and load) will suffer. Keep in mind, the guys racing with fully race-tuned bikes like these are doing a lot more detailed engine and overall bike maintenance than the average street rider KNOWS HOW TO or wants to do. Tommy Hayden's bike gets completely torn and stripped down and overhauled regularly. Even less top-level racers are keeping on top of things, and generally not racking up the large miles that a street rider does. I'd advise against getting over your head in maintenance needs and a headache like the demands your bike will place on you over gaining some ponies at the expense of streetability and engine life.

You can order most of the individual parts from the factory kit at www.buykawasaki.com. Hit the "motorcycle" icon, then "zx-6r" or "zx-6rr", then 2003, then "performance accessories". Kawasaki's link to the full factory race kit seems to be gone, possibly due to parts availability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.