Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ppl. Hows everyone? Its been a while. Ok when i was checking the fork parts i noticed that when i was unassembeling the fork the dampper rod fell in everytime i pulled it out. Yesterday i pulled the damper rod out and left it to fall back in, but it jus stuck there? Should i be worried? Its been out of oil for a month now, could that be the reason? I have to push it back in. Its got like 2 stages wen i do this hard / soft then hard / soft and bottoms out? Anyone know wats happening to it? Posted on the old forum wer killer2600, jbreit and aljaxson helped me out, no reply thout id post again.

2ndly my fork has a dent wer the seal is positioned. Its like the spacer has made an impact on the fork making a neat looking dent 1.5 or 2 inches long. I tried sanding it off with a 600 paper but looks like i was wasting my time. Nothing happend. What u think i should do?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Without oil the damper rod won't be slippery and slide back in, I wouldn't worry about it unless you were riding the bike without oil in the fork.

As for your dent a picture is worth a thousand words. Not sure what part is dented and which way but if it's more than cosmetic and affects the fork it'll probably have to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Hey Bash....sorry I didn't get back to you yet ... busy.

a dent by the seal..?..a picture would indeed help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello guys. So sorry for the late reply. Jbreit dnt sweat it i knw how it is when u busy. Have been chasing our IT guy arround here coz his locked the USB ports on these comp and i cant upload the pics. Will do it as soon as i can.
Killer when i open the fork up the damper rod fell back down every time i left it, no riding since that time and all of a sudden it stops? As u said maybe its dried up?
LOL one more thing as i was busy sanding my heart out i realised that the dent / scratch is in the middle. So i put the fork in the bottom part of the shock and maxed it out (all the way in) and the dent seems to be an inch off the top were the dust seal sits!! Hehe. Does that mean i am in the safe zone lol. Since the dent wont be coming in contact with the oil seal?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Make sure that you hit "Go Advanced" when you are ready to post the pics. Then if you scroll down you will see a "manage attachments" button. Hit it and a window will come up for you to upload pics...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Those pics don't show a lot either...which is good...

Before I could afford to repair/replace parts on my bikes, I used parts in way worse shape than that. I've had dings and dents on fork tubes from everything from pressing them straight to impact with flying objects (one guys bar end came off at the track and dented a fork). As long as the defect was smooth, as in no sharp edges, and moved smoothly, I used it. The seal will follow small defects.

Chrome is pretty hard stuff....sand paper will only polish it....which is something I recommend doing when you replace seals anyway (I discuss this briefly in my fork seal write up).

If the fork is overall straight, should be no big deal. if it is bent or out of round as a result of that dent, I'm afraid it should be replaced as its likely to have binding issues, or cause excess wear on the other fork parts. This vintage of fork go a dime a dozen on ebay here in the US. Shipping for a single fork leg to go across the pond with USPS would probably be around $40-60. If you can't find a source that will ship to you, let me know. Don't forget to check the classifieds here too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot once again m8. The dent is pretty smooth no rough edges. Sanded it down to be sure. And the fork is not out of round. I mentioned that the dent once i put the crome fork tube in the lower outer tube and max it out the dent doesnt even pass the area were the oil seal sits. Infact its an inch of the top of the lower tube. So im guessin im good to go? You sure know your stuff man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts