Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here in a few weeks my outer tubes should be back from powdercoat and was wondering if any of you have ever changed your own fork seals or ever had your forks apart how hard is it the old ones came apart real easy is there any tricks to getting the seals in and how much oil do you fill it back up with

· Registered
117 Posts
Kawasaki Factory Service Manual says:

•Pour in the type and amount of fork oil specified.
Fork Oil
Viscosity: SS05 or equivalent SAE 5W
Amount (per side):
When changing oil: approx. 360 mL (12.2 US oz.)
After disassembly and completely dry:
426 ±2 mL (14.4 ±0.07 US oz.)

But you should measure with fork height.
Get a motion pro or other fork oil level gauge for $30ish and measure with the fork spring out and damping rod installed.

Stock fork oil height on the 05/06 is 109 +/- 2 mm.

· Registered
410 Posts
The new seal can be made to fit easily by stamping it using a PVC pipe that's just a hair wider than the tubes. I'm sorry I don't remember what size but go to home depot and buy a few for $2 each. On a different note, there is a proper procedure to get the oil level correct. Also, you need a special tool that holds the tubes while you unbolt the top, which is tighter than an asi......

· The Indifference Engine
6,136 Posts
The new seal can be made to fit easily by stamping it using a PVC pipe that's just a hair wider than the tubes. I'm sorry I don't remember what size but go to home depot and buy a few for $2 each. On a different note, there is a proper procedure to get the oil level correct. Also, you need a special tool that holds the tubes while you unbolt the top, which is tighter than an asi......
Cut the tube in half across the diameter so that you have two shell halves. This will allow you to remove the seal pounder after you install the seal in the assembled fork.

· Premium Member
953 Posts
I'm about to attempt fork seals on my dirt bike. I bought the right tools because I will no doubt do them again on my bike and on friends bikes. It was $105 shipped for the correct fork seal tool, seals, seal bullet and oil (edit:and the fork cap wrench). I cannot pay the local shops less than $160 to do it and that is if I bring them the forks off the bike. Next time I will only need oil and seals.

I usually by my parts at
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/index.php

These videos will help. Even if your forks are not exactly the same you get the idea. Watch them both as they are slightly different styles and one of them will be closer to what you have than the other. Good luck. I let you know how mine go.

YouTube - ‪Changing Fork Seals Part 1 (of 3)‬‏

YouTube - ‪Change motorcycle fork seals part 1 (of 2) cartridge type‬‏

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.