Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On your pre 02' 6R's what are you running. usually dealer set ups are level with the triple's. Have any of you left them that way are have you lowered them any.

I've found that about 5mm makes a huge difference in front end feed back and feel in the cornering characteristics.

Just curious.

·
Registered
823 Posts
jhendrix,

Do you play a Strat? :D

Yeah I raised the fork tubes 6mm in the clamps and added approx. 3.5mm thick washer under the upper rear shock absorber mount. I had to do this because I switched to a 120/70-17 front tire. I'd like to raise the fork tubes about 3mm more to get the front end to turn in a tad quicker but its close to good now. With the stock front tire and stock suspension setup (fork tubes even with the top of the clamps)the turn in was a bit sluggish AND the front end stability at speeds >80 mph was not great. The stock spring preloads were too stiff for my weight (130lbs) and I had to back off the preload substantially front and back to get enough static sag. With my current setup the turn-in is better than stock and stability at speed is much better. I'll post again after I raise the fork tubes another 3mm. If I don't post it means the change made me do a career ending tankslapper. [:0]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, i do play a strat. haha

Yea on my zzr i'm at about 5mm. on my 01' i'mm closer to about 8 and raised the rear about 4, but thats my tracker. it's pretty agressive but at speeds it handles like a dream.

let me know about raising it another 3mm and be easy on it so you can let me know.:D

the stock set up really sucked, changed everything. but when they pay someone $6 an hour too uncrate these things thats what you get huh.

·
Registered
823 Posts
hehe [8D] I play a Strat too.

The Kawi service manual claims the factory suspension settings are designed for a 150lb rider.[:0] Hard to believe considering how brutal the rear suspension was set up that way.[xx(] I would encourage all ZZR/ZX6R riders to dial in their suspension based on their weight/riding skill/road conditions. You won't believe its the same bike! [:10]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Glovis
hehe [8D] I play a Strat too.

The Kawi service manual claims the factory suspension settings are designed for a 150lb rider.[:0] Hard to believe considering how brutal the rear suspension was set up that way.[xx(] I would encourage all ZZR/ZX6R riders to dial in their suspension based on their weight/riding skill/road conditions. You won't believe its the same bike! [:10]
yep, i'm 190 without gear. had to change everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.