Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
asking for a friend.

Anyone here ever change the fork seals?
he has the factory service manual, but I dunno If I can do it right....
How much do shops charge?
any good Kawi shops in NYC???
thanks
Ken

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've done it myself...did it wrong too. You need the proper damper rod holding tool, a fork seal driver, & a tool to bleed the air from the forks, as well as a tool to set the appropriate oil level height.
Cost me $600 to have them redone after my blunder, but I did get the full traxxion job.
I think it should cost like $150, just bring both forks & get the oil changed in both as well.
Put the bike on a car jack & rear stand...car jack under the headers...make sure it balanced really well, you may be waiting a few days to get the forks back.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
you dont need to buy all those tools, my buddy rigged up some fancy stuff to change the fork seals on his goldwing..I think it can be done without spending to much money on tools, but you should be reasonably good with a wrench.

if you would stop doing wheelies you wpuldn't be damaging you seals ;)

another option is to check ebay, heck you might run into a set of goods forks for cheaper than a dealer would redo you existing ones, you never know....

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have done fork oil changes and the damper rod tool and oil level tool I made out of a coathanger. A seal driver I have heard can be made from PVC pipe.

You can have your forks done by Race Tech to include seals and revalve for less than what a dealer will charge you just for seals.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"I have done fork oil changes and the damper rod tool and oil level tool I made out of a coathanger. A seal driver I have heard can be made from PVC pipe."

hahah

i think this is what my buddy did for his Goldwing....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha ha ha,
Power to the poor people!!!

to this day I refuse to drink starbucks! I ain't paying $5 for coffee; which also tastes burnt!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.