Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with my plug again in my rear tire. And it has been slowly leaking air out. I knew about this from putting a little bit of water on the plug and seeing it foam up.
Well I haven't had time to go out and buy more plugs so I just road with it and adjusted my riding style a little bit around turns.
Well the bike handled a little slow around corners and things but otherwise it was just fine. The night before I fixed it I even did wheelies just fine. I even got it up to (what my speedo said) 150MPH and it handled like a trooper. They next morning I was surprised to see it all the way down at 9 PSI.

It amazing that when you have such a tiny leak that over time you mentally adjust the way you think the bike rides normal. When I filled up the tire it was a completely different ride from what I had adjusted too. I fixed it and now its doing just fine.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah that wouldn't be on the top ten things to do with a leaking tire list. I could bore the living hell out of you with the reasons behind how we (people) adapt to a changing environment so well, but I'll spare you the pain.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
We used to run the slicks on our drag cars at 3PSI. ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Originally posted by -gary
We used to run the slicks on our drag cars at 3PSI. ;)
True but the object was to load up the tire during launch. You also had two tires splitting the workload. Personally, I would drive my car on a leaking tire for months before I got off my ass and fixed it, but then again I have three other good ones and a bunch of steel, fiberglass and padded leather around me. My bike on the other hand... if I only have two wheels and something drastic happened to one of them at ANY speed I'd be screwed. At best - massive repair bills. At worst - widow and Fatherless daughter at home. I'll keep 2 good tires under me.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When i took it up to 150 i knew I was a little low but i was thinking it was around 20-23PSI It wasn't till the next morning that I discovered it was actually 9PSI. I was only posting this up just to let people know how your body and mind will adapt to things like this, so its just good idea to manually check things sometimes.
Like I said I was totally shocked to see it was 9PSI.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Umm... Chances are it WAS at 20 psi's. Remember, it doesn't stop leaking air after you stop riding it.
If it did that, then the bike really doesn't like you, and you should get rid of it before it bucks you off.

Now, if you had actually looked at the pressure after you finished your ride, instead of several hours later, you would know what you were actually riding on. With only 9 lbs in your tire, the chances of you shredding the tire at 150 mph are pretty high. Making any kind of corner would be pretty risky.

But your tire is all better now. So go out there and wheelie your heart out.
BC.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with a plugged tyre. When you think how much depends on that little patch of rubber....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah an ex-girl of mine drove her car from sydney to canberra (about 400km) with a tyre about 15 psi underinflated lasted most of the distance before the rim sliced through the side wall of the tyre. Lucky she was pulling up to a service station for petrol and one of the other drivers noticed and told her. [xx(] Also it fucks your rims.

·
Registered
49 Posts
With that low pressure you can weaken and kill your side wall and and have uneven thread patterns. I wouldnt plug the tire they are only meant to be temperary. You should either vulcanize the tire or buy a new one. To vulcanize it should only cost about 5 or 10 bucks. About the wheelie a lot of stunters use between 10 and 15 psi when wheeling and doing 12s and stuff.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually got a nail in my tire when I first got my bike after pluging it I have put about 8,000 miles on it. It's been fine. It's not like its going to explode or anything. The worst that it could do is what just happpened to me, the slow leak. I have taken it 150+ many many times with that plug during its 8,000 mile life. Its not something that I wanted to do, but It was a new tire. and I wasn't about to go out buy another new tire.
I admit though that I did change the plug once though because I used a really really old plug that was no longer sticky.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its not that the plugs arent sticky the flexing of the tires make the plug work their way out thats why plugs are only temperary and vulcanizing is a fix. Dont know what you guys do down there but thats how we fix tires up here.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
honestly I have never heard of vulcanizing what is that? Is that adding liquid rubber to the hole?
I have only heard or pugs and patches
I didnt want to patch the tire because then I would have to take the tire off the bike, bring it to someone who would take the tire off the rim and then put it back on the rim. Way to much of a pain in the ass. I just wanted to do the best thing I could do to the hole without taking the tire off the bike.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol
honestly I have never heard of vulcanizing what is that?
He's talking about a patch with self-vulcanizing glue.

Never plug, get it patched. Those things have to be grinded off if you put em on right. If you really want them to stick, set the glue on fire just before you place the patch. That'll do the trick every time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ya the vulcanized plugs we use at work is a big patch with a big ass rubber pole stuck on it what ever size the whole you use a bigger pole thingy so you have to force it up through and buff the tire and glue the patch part to the inside. Not a very good explanation but thats the best I can describe a vulcanized plug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.