Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k., I want to know who the hell put my bike together, Hercules? I finally got my frame sliders and can't budge the frame bolts. Yes I've tried the whole leverage thing while trying not to strip the hex head. Also, on the right side, there's what seems to be an extra "larger" nut which sits up against the frame. What is its purpose?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just use an allen socket and lots of force - it'll come lose. On the right, that's an adjustment for engine alignment - just unscrew the allen bolt like on the left and it'll come out w/o affecting the nut.

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah i had a b*tch of a time getting those bolts off when i put on my sliders, especially the right one... it's hard to get a lot of leverage cause the fairing's right there too, but just work on it and you'll get it, make sure the allen wrench is engaged all the way into the bolt so it won't strip it...
good luck

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hmm, all Yankees posting that the bolts were hard to take off...I had no problem, sure I had to use two hands, but hey, I'm Canadian...maybe our 'moonshine' beer makes us stronger. [:p]

J/J guys. They were actually a bitch to get off. One thought though. Perhaps having ridden your bikes a while caused the bolts to 'tighten' up a bit??? I put my frame sliders on right away. I'm sure my bolts were torqued down properly from the factory. I'm sure the vibrating of the engine has to put some stress on the...damnit, I can't remember the 'tech' terms of the spirals on threads. Man, maybe with my old age I'm losing my memory. That, or I wasn't really paying attention in all my steel design classes...maybe it's just the wacky tabacky.[^]

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RidgeRider: Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated:D.

Godsdozer: I was actually trying to do it one-handed so I could boast;).

Brendon: Went with the Vortex sliders. The pucks are replacable so you don't have to replace the whole thing. Got them from Kneedraggers.

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of where they are suppose to go? I didn't have a problem putting mine on but maybe I put them in the wrong spot[?][?][?]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Holy crap! I didn't put mine there, I put them on the actual fairing bolt. Do they go there for the regular ZX-6R and do you have to take the whole fairing off?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just be careful when you put the aftermarket slider bolts in! I stripped the right side and had a hell of a time finding a replacement bolt. The left side was really easy. Right was very tight. But, the funny thing is that when I put the sliders on the bolt didn't snug up tight. I could still turn them very easily. I think that's how I stripped the right side.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by ajburt22
Holy crap! I didn't put mine there, I put them on the actual fairing bolt. Do they go there for the regular ZX-6R and do you have to take the whole fairing off?
Yes that's where they go (as post above). No you don't have to take the fairing off. What kind did you buy? The Vortex came with some pretty long bolts to replace the frame bolts.

Blue 636: I think they put Lock Tite on every bolt. You should have seen how hard it was to get the side stand off...At least it's comforting to know your shit won't rattle loose from all the hard riding.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.