Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it welded and it cost me $40 when he started cleaning it up we noticed that it was cracked on the other side so he had to get in there which was kinda hard to do without taking off the swingarm.

I knew about this small crack when I bought the bike. It is by the lower mount on the left side set. I am wondering if I should just leave it alone or try to have it welded. Does anyone know the metal composition of the frame and has anybody had cracks welded before? Are there any other options?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know a local stunter that had his frame welded, not in the sam spot but same bike as ours. The frame is aluminum and he said it was fine after it was done - which I totally believe. Just be sure to get a competent welder who's welded aluminum before.

BTW - do you know how the crack happened?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the bike salvaged and both sets were snapped off, looks like the bike was run over at slow speeds by a big truck or something. Hey thanks the shift rod does need a twist.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a straight frame forsale if you want to replace it. The welding shop we use just TIG welds them, they say its no big deal hope that helps.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I think I will just get it welded and then if it does not hold I will look for a new frame.
Thanks though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
my frame broke in half while riding, both sides of the frame behind the access hole for the cables. There is also other stress craks around these holes. It broke on three sides of the box all excpte the top side of the box broke on both sides of the tank allowing the bike to flex downwards, the bike wobbeled and so I let the brakes off and brought the bike to a gradual stop using the back brake, the brake is obviously a manufacturing error. Has this happened any one else?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah am a welder and that looks np to weld m8 just drop in to a local firm and ask 1 of the guys he prob do it for next to nothing don't go see the owner or it cost $$$$$$$$$ i often get ppl in needing car sumps welding money go's right in the back pocket :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a little one man machine shop down the street from me and he has hooked me up building exhausts for my other bike. Basically I just give him beer money :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.