Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 zzr600 that I’m working on. I found 2 wires with O rings on the end just trying to figure out if they are grounds or what else they could go to.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A decent service manual should include the necessary wiring diagram to answer this question.

I assume that these are both black wires. Chances are that the size and length of those is going to indicate that it fits on the stater, negative battery terminal or starter motor circuit. Before you actually hook any of that up, I would highly recommend that you get a service manual or at least a proper wiring diagram as you do not want to fry anything by miswiring, or have the starter motor spinning backwards when you crank it.

Photos of those parts of the bike would also likely be helpful in figuring that out. And, where possible clean as much of the gunk off so that we can see any colors on the wires in those areas of the bike. I'm flying kind of blind here without a diagram and without any photos of what the actual state of the wiring is in those areas. I'm just mentally comparing what my bike has in terms of negative leads and hoping that matches up.

In an ideal world, this is why we like starting with a bike that is as it rolled out of the factory and having plenty of photos. In the real world, sometimes we either start with a previously modded bike or we get impatient and fail to properly document everything.

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, get yourself some dielectric grease to cover those connections in for your final install. The last thing you want is moisture getting in there and corroding things or shorting things out. The grease is pretty cheap and can greatly reduce the headaches associated with troubleshooting weird gremlins later on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a service Manuel only shows the black and yellow as a ground. The other I think is a blue and black wire. The bike fired up and runs. I’m just confused as to why it does with these wires not hooked up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts