Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the last warm day of the season I took my bike apart and down into the basement. Now its a rolling frame with an engine. No plastic on it what so ever. I went to the website for polishing and now I'm starting to collect materials. I have the steel wool, stripper, auto sol, mothers polish and so far thats it. I'm having trouble with the sandpaper. For one, its tough to find all those different grits not to mention an electric handheld sander that has either attachments or the ability to cut any piece to size. Does anyone know of a good one? I've checked on the black and decker mouse and some other misc models at sears and have had no luck. I am ready to start on this but I need to get everything together first. Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
yo need a sander1/4 , so not rotary but just the shake one, grit from 80(for the bottom rought cast) to 1500, and then use compound with buffing wheels, autosol and mothers are only finishing product so not polish really. be prepair it's a freaking long and hard job on the first time.

if your not too sure on how to do it and want me to do it for cheap let me know. heres my e-mail; [email protected]

have a look at my 98(same)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I planned on this taking me a month or so of good hard work but I want to make sure the end result is as perfect as can be. Your frame looks awesome! What did you use for a sander? Like make/model? Where are you located in canada? I'm right across the boarder from cornwall. Let me know, thanks a lot!!

Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
i am located in alberta(just above montana) town of banff(known ski town)in the rockies, about sanders, as long it's not rotatif and you can fit a 1/4 sheet of about any grits, any brands makes'em(mind is a makita).

·
Registered
7 Posts
My .02...the worst part about any polished aluminum part is the constant repolishing and maintenance. If you want to keep it looking like a mirror without constantly polishing your fingers to the bone, invest in a Zoops Seal kit. Get your parts polished the way you want them, then apply the Zoops Seal per the directions, and enjoy a year or more of no-maintenance gleaming metal. You can buy it direct from Zoops here: http://www.zoops.com

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GreenEnvy I'm a frequent visitor to montreal. I'm only about an hour away. We should get together and ride this spring. On the other hand, for this sander...how the heck do I find one that isnt rotory and allows use of normal sheets of sandpaper? This is starting to be a pain. I have everything but the paper and I need it to start. Thanks for the quick responses guys

Chris

·
Registered
663 Posts
can't wait to start mine this winter...frames look great guys..i'll be sure to post pics to when i'm done so u can have a look...should be good with the discontinued kawi red 636

·
Registered
653 Posts
upgrade on my frame polishing today
getting there but i dont know what the hell the people talking about jewlers rouge bar to buff or autosol they must live in some different country cuz theres no such thing in no store i've gone to so all i used so far was mothers metal polish i dont think thats what i should use but ohh freakin well

i sanded up to 1500 dry up to 800 then wet from 1000 to 1500 i only did the left side today

my problems are i see myself in it bu its not a clear mirror look i'm kind of hazy no matter how much i high speed buff its still not like a mirror i been outside since 10 am and i dont know what to do to remove the haze u can see in the pics..

casual
casual

·
Registered
653 Posts
what should i do next that may help?

thanks
casual

·
Registered
309 Posts
I own a trucking co. here in Oregon and can send you some bars of rouge or go to your local truckstop exit 7 on NJTP at the petro in the main bldg.Start with it like this use black first heavy cutting,then brown then green then white you will be filthy after use but we use it here in my place and one the trucks.If i can help you call Daniel 503-572-2396 and i will send you some bars be like $5 a bar and no sales tax gotta love it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.