Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been looking into frame sliders for my '03 and tryin to determine what will be the best protection.
i've read several posts of folks that have had trouble after a low-side and the slider either broke off or bent/distorted and ended up damaging the engine mount bolt. now is this only happening on certain models of bikes or only with a particular brand/style/type of slider??
what has your experience been?

i'd prefer not to have to cut my plastics. but if that only means that i'll be increasing my odds of something else being damaged or failing... then where is the savings in that?!?

·
Registered
311 Posts
'01 and older you needed to cut plastic to put good, motor-mounted sliders on. You'll be okay on your '03.

I suspect most stories you heard of a slider's bolt breaking the tab off the frame was from '01 and older bikes from owners who bought the "no-cutting necessary" sliders. These sliders don't mount in a safe place, but it's the only place to put them if you don't want to drill a hole in your fairings.

Just make sure you buy sliders that mount directly to the motor mount. As far as suggestions within this category- I can't help ya. [?]

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. so what i understand is i would use similar sliders as the newer zx6r... but i read that the sliders that mount there can cause isssues by distorting the engine mount hardware/adjuster in a slide. a local 6r had to replace the mount adjuster and retainer nut for this same reason. which was no easy task as it basically requires lowering the engine to get the adjuster out.

perhaps the quality of the center bolt makes a difference?!?

thanx for the comments though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmm. I haven't heard that story of the adjuster needing to be replaced. I could see how that's possible though I guess. Maybe it was from a very hard fall, like a high-side? I would definitely rather have to possibly replace that adjuster than deal with the damage you could have to your cylinder from a tab-mounted frame slider.

Let's face it, these bikes aren't made to fall over! [V]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.