Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - need some help on sliders for an old school 02 636. Bike is going in next week for some welding on the fairing and I thought it'd be good to get some sliders on - only prob is that Oggys don't seem to come for the 02?!? What have you guys got and where did you get 'em. I'm in Can-braaa so something close that I can get my hands on before the end of next week'd be good.

Folks from the rest of the world - I'd really appreciate knowing where you got yours too (web) as I might have to order and wait if I can't get anything locally quickly. :)

Cut or no cut doesn't matter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
the best would be from rg racing but they are located in the uk so i dont know how quick u could get em. they are the only ones I know of that use the engine bolt vs the way too weak fairing bolts. they are much more expensive than the no cut ones but they are far better. most people that lowside their bikes with the no cut ones usually report having more damage than with no sliders at all due to the fact that the tab will break off or bend on the frame causing the slider to pull out of the hole and completely ruin the fairing not to mention now your frame will need to be repaired to have a fairing bolt. here is a link to the site www.rg-racing.com/

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just installed a set of R&G's and they are great. Its the way to go. You do not need the shop to install them, the site has great instructions. And R&G are the only company that provides a replacement coolant bottle that allows the engine mount bolt to pass through it.

I am convinced I could carry the bike by the sliders, these things are solid. And with regard to the cost, think of the money you would save if you ever need the sliders...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I can't help you, 'cause I don't have any. I'm a bit surprised that Oggy don't make anything for the '98-'02 bike though.

Edit: If I was ever to buy any, there's a guy here who does some beautiful work with aluminium. He's already made up some sliders for other bikes and they are simply gorgeous. They work well too (they've been "tested"). I don't think they'd be cheap though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just been to the RG website - the sliders look the business. Thanks for the great info guys. These look like the ones to go with.

Nigel - yeah, I was surprised too. Bloke at the kwaka dealership here reckons Oggys have only been doing street bikes for a few years, prior to that they were supposedly only supplying to track?!? I'm gonna give a call tomorrow just to confirm but there's nothing in the cattledog.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had an abolute nightmare with R&G sliders for my 01 ZX6R. The studs they give you are way to soft and strip very easily. I installed mine according to the directions provided which was rather straight forward but when I went to torque them down, with a troque wrench, the nut & stud just kept spinnig. I took them off and found that the threads had stripped in the middle of the one threaded end of the stud. I know pics would be a great addition to this post but the stud is long gone. To make a long story short it was f#cked!! Luckily a freind recommended some fastenal hardened corse threaded bolts. So I threw out the studs R&G provided & installed the fastenal bolts, this essentially permenantly fixed the sliders to the bikes. In other words, I would have to take the whole engine mount out to take the slider off. This being the case I had to make a larger hole in my fairing so that it the fit over the slider. This also made it way more work to get the side fairing off due to the fact I have to loosen the nose section and swing it out so that the side fairing can come off. Another thing is the price, $170!!, or more with the shitty exchange rate. Their customer service is non existent & their is no company in the US that distributes their products. All of the US companies listed on their website have to order the parts the same way you would yourself on the website. You may get lucky & not have any problems if you get a set. I felt I had to say something since my experience was so f*cked up. It's too bad you dont have more choices as far as sliders go. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
www.rg-racing.com

Apologies, I have been out of town. I ordered sliders, bar ends, fork protectors, and spools. RG shipped the items in a timely manner. They sent the wrong spools and corrected the issue at no cost to me, which was great! I think I paid $350 for eveything and felt it was worth it.

I do agree with the other post... the slider bolts are hard to get in and had me worried, but patience paid off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.