Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honest question...do frame sliders REALLY work? And what do they really do besides bend your frame when you eat it lowside at 60mph?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Delrin...sp? the material that good sliders are made from does work. They are ideal for track conditions. I have satos on my bike and I wish they were longer so I'd be more comfortable with their abilities. I will say that with my sets, my rear stand spools, my handlebar extensions and the satos some things will be saved. A friend dropped my bike standing still in the driveway and no panels were damaged.....standing still. At any speed I'm not sure what they'll do.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could def see them helping some for a stand-still drop. But at speed, the plastics are gonna get rashed any way you look at it. And I'd rather get some rashed plastics than deal with a broken frame bolt or a bent frame from the sliders digging in. Would they get as much rashed w/o them as with them at speed? Doesn't really matter as a little rash still need 'fixing' just like alot of rash.

I was just curious if they really served their purpose as they are dubbed 'frame savers' in some places. Delrin is a great soft durable material that doesn't shatter like other harder plastics. I don't think I've ever seen a MotoGP bike with sliders...anyone know why or why they don't use them? (and not the obvious answer of 'they have big budgets and rebuild bikes after every race anyway')

·
Registered
316 Posts
It depends on where you attach the sliders, in my opinion. My R&G sliders attach to the engine mount which is a 10mm bolt. A lot of sliders attach to fairing mounts (no cut). I think for your bike there are lots of delrin sliders. Avoid aluminum, they catch on the road. If they are too long, they can sink into the grass and cause a flip (happened to a friend). All in all, scour the board, there are lots of pics post crash, with sliders (both engine mount and fairing mount) and well as without.

Good luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A naked bike I could see them keeping the frame from scraping the ground...but a fairing bike...I see no use for them. Almost better w/o them as they won't catch and flip the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.