Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install this yet? I went to install and noticed that the threaded stem of the new horn is shorther that the OEM. WTF? Yes I bought the correct one listed in the sticky. Anyone else experience this problem?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Mred, I installed one on my 01 and yes I experienced the same problem of the shorter threaded stem. To overcome the shorter stem, the rubber bushing was removed from the stock mounting braket (where the horn meets the bracket). I then used a dremel to grind away some of the metal on the horn at the base of the stem (to match the keyed shape hole in the braket) allowing the bracket to sit right down flush against the back of the horn... Mounted up no problem and works great sounding like the horn in my truck as opposed to some tiny import. [8D]

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brendon: Pep Boys. It's listed in the "complete list of aftermarket accessories" thread.

BSHAP:Holy shit! You went through all that? I thought this was supposed to be a plug and go thing. What all did you take off the bike in order to get to it? Fairing only? I've noticed the area is kinda tight to work in.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Wo
I'm interested in this too ! :D
I didn't forget about you Wo. I just got my rivets from dman so I was messing around with the horn last night. If all else fails, I'll do what BSHAP did. I'm going to see if I can find a horn with a longer stm first.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by godsdozer
hey mred, just take it to a welding a shop and have them weld a longer stem on it. :)
I must of had a brain fart, why didn't I think of that? Thanks Daryl.;)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey guys, what I did really wasn't that much work... just some required grinding. I haven't seen how the '03 horn is mounted but on the '01 I have the horn is mounted to a small bracket that's then bolted on the rad mount and is easily removed. If a welding shop is handy then ya I'd throw a new longer stem on so you can still use the rubber bushing from the original setup, but if not then just spend a few minutes grinding and yur in business.

The horn is the same basic diameter as stock but has more depth to it... much louder than stock. [8D]

·
Registered
934 Posts
I almost forgot, I didn't have to remove any of the fairings to get at my horn... just attacked it by going up through and around the forks very carefully. :D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's what I'm doing today. My buddy has a mig welder so we should be in business in no time:D.

Chevy: you need to get this horn. It's pretty freakin loud. I'm gonna have some fun when someone decides to switch lanes without looking. Hopefully they will be holding a cup of coffee or something[:p]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Want one too, but cba to adjust it to fit OEM plugs. ;) So, won't buy one unless it fits oem immediatly !

·
Registered
150 Posts
yes i have an 03 and the horn was a bit of a pain to install, but i didnt take the fairings off, to be honest it would be much easier with the wheel off. The horn bolt is a lil bit short, you just have to get in there and crank it with a wrench tight and put some lock washers on it. The horn rocks but was a pain to install.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just finished the install. Yes it was a pain in the ass. But it was one of those "first time install" deals. Had to do a little modification. I took off the left side fairing so I could see what I was doing. I cut the stem off and welded a longer one on. But it was too small in diameter so I had to cut that one off and re-weld a larger one. What we did was weld a washer flush with the screw, then welded the washer/screw to the base of the horn. This way here there wasn't a mound of weld built up at the base of the threads causing a teeter totter effect when tightening. Damn that horn is loud...It's actually funny.

Wo: If your really interested, shoot me a pm if you want to work something out. I can weld it for you and get it ready for install and you can pay for the horn & shipping charges.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys, I have a silver 03 and I put this horn on - there is no modification needed - yes the horn has a short stem on it - just remove the rubber flange in the bracket on the bike, put a washer on it, lock tight the bolt and you are good to go...fawk if i had to weld sheeaat I would have said to hell with it...me no skillzzz...ma papa got all those...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.