Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saturday night ride. been looking forward to riding all last week and friday night was a good ride but got cut short due to rain. got a few buddies together for a group ride saturday evening. the ride started good, and the good stuff only lasted all of 10 minutes. barely into our first leg a friends throttle cable snapped, on a Lightning... go figure. so we chilled with him on the side of the interstate for a couple hours until his sister made it out with his truck to pick him up.

anyways thats beside the point, just a little forshadowing of how craptastic the night was about to get. it wasnt that horrible though, nobody dumped it. now I'm a lot of a squid myself, so it takes a bunch for me to get heated up if someones being squidly. or, rather squirrely and/or wreckless.

so as the night goes on, and our numbers were now down to 4... we made some calls and had a plan to meet up with some others on the other side of town. sometimes this is cool, but you always wind up with *one of those guys* in the pack when you get in a group with people you've never ridden with before. we rode out to that one road everyone stunts on (every city has one, right?) and there must have been 40 bikes rolling out. I guess we got there right when the spot turned into a bust. we catch a group of guys we recognized and roll down to the Plaza. our 4 some turned into about 20 bikes.

on our way there we had our usual sprints and random wheelies, everyone seemed to be keeping an eye out and maintained space. life was good. that is right until one of the very last stoplights before we got to the Plaza to chill.

this is where our already somewhat crappy night turned into runny poo for me. now I'm paqrtly at fault for what happened, I accept that. but the other guy was a total douche about it, not to mention an outta control newbie rider. typically the guys I ride with all make it point to signal in someway when they're about to squid it up. this guy never got the memo. mid pack at a stop light, I'm coming in behind him. I spot up ahead there a good 15-20 still to roll on before putting my feet down. I kept about 6-8 feet between me and the asshat in front of me. next thing I know the distance is half that and his front tire is lifting. by the time I could stop, without dumping it (I was 2 up), his bike is coming down on mine.

not knowing the guy and not really being a confrontational person myself, I didnt make a big scene of it. there are some light scratches on my upper, a nick and scatch in my low beam lens, and some paint scrapped off my front fender. nothing cracked or broken, enough to piss a guy off though. I should have been keeping better distance, especially since I'd never ridden with the guy before. sad thing is we were both on zx6r's, although his was a 99.

after chillen out for a while we went to meet up with a few more people, then went back to wheelie road. between the Plaza and wheelie road, we managed to lose the guy that endo'd in front of me somehow. rode out my best wheelie and 2 up wheelie that night, helped to make up for the bump and grind earlier in the night.

then last night I got a call. couple buddies wanting to meet up and ride. not having anything better to do, I was in. we met at the eastside Sonic. turns out there was a bunch of people out at Sonic on Sunday night. the crazy guy that weaves through traffic in a stand up was out, a few couples riding 2 up were out, a buncha guys that I know their faces but not their names were out, and the douche bag on the yellow 99 zx6r that hit me the night before was out. my buddies hadnt gotten there yet. i went for gas, got back and my friends had arrived. again, we numbered in the 20s rolling out to hit some curvy roads. since we were with a group that either didnt know the roads, werent very experienced riders, and the squid on the yellow zixxer, I hung out at the back of the pack for most of the ride to the 1st spot.

we managed to make it through the first spot without any incidents, good fun paced clean run. we went out to one of the other curvy roads, the one you can really open 'er up on. on the way out there my friend gets cut off by the jack ass on the yellow zixxer in highway traffic. he never checked before making a lane change and nearly caused an accident. so we get to the curvy road you can really open 'er up on and hit it up at a good clip. the slower and some of the smarter riders fell back and rode at their own pace. the last corner on this road is broad sweeping wide radius approached from a steeeep downhill, I'm comfy hitting it around 60-80. I kept it conservative since I was watching out for some of the slower guys. we get to our turnaround stop sign where we either head off to another spot or turnaround and hit the same road backwards.

last night we decide to hit it backwards. this is where the squid on the yellow zixxer scared the piss out of me. I talked up one of the other guys in the group into toning it down and hanging with the slower people cause my girlfriend has a particular fondness for going fast on this very road we were on. we got a good staggered start and everyone did awsome at maintaining a comfy distance. coming onto that first broad sweeper, the last turn from the previous run. I was hoping on hitting it pretty hot, get some lean going. coming into it I notice the guy on the yellow zixxer is in the distance, shit he's in front of me. instinct kicked in and I rolled off throttle a bit. I kept watch on the yellow zixxer, he was approaching the curve really hot. I saw a half assed attempt at a lean just as the guy must have grabbed a fist full of brake. his bike went straight up and he went over the curb. I kept slowing, getting myself ready to pull off and help out at an accident scene. miraculously the dude managed to keep it upright in the grass and get it back on the road. I rolled back on throttle and caught back up with the first bunch of guys at the next stop. my buddy he cut off earlier was behind me and saw the whole thing go down.

from there we went to the office park that has a bit of straight and a bit of curves to have some fun. the guy on the yellow zixxer managed to turn off along the way. my buddies and I are trying to figure out how to approach him next time we see him out.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
I'll wait for the cliff notes...

Aaaah, maybe not, squid threads give me headaches and they are a dime a dozen...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Originally posted by ninja vanish
i would reply with something witty, but i'm too tired from reading your novel[B)];)
HAHAHAHAHAA, NOOOOOOO SHIT!! WHAT THE HELL IS 2 UP?
So lemme get this right, a guy in front of you did a stoppie and while you were slowing down a dude behind you was already doin a wheelie and happened to land on you?

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,422 Posts
Yeah, something about some dude's front tire lifting when he did a stoppie...I think that's where I stopped paying attention. Occum's Razor, man...that novel could probably be even more accurately explained by using maybe five sentences instead of eleven paragraphs.

Iroman -> Cliffs notes: Modular goes on a ride. Some dude's throttle cable breaks, so they're all pissed and waiting for a truck. Ride continues, they meet up with some fucks, and some dude does an endo and lands on Modular's bike. Modular admits to being a squid, and talks about 2-up wheelies and hitting twisties really hard 2-up because his girl likes it. Next day Modular goes riding again 2 up and runs into the same endo guy, who runs off the road in some twisties but doesn't actually dump it. Modular wants to know how to talk to the other guy about how much of a douche he is.

That just about covers it.

Oh, and Modular...have you taken the MSF class? Do you ever ride staggered? Problem solved.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
The irony is delicious...just last week modular was defending squids and now he's attacking them.

Then you talk about doing wheelies 2 up and taking twisties at 80mph while 2 up.

I absolutely hate using the term squid but if you're gonna bash them, how about not acting like one yourself?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
dude hits an endo in front of you and you roll under him.
you were to close man.

2-up doing wheeli's and hauling ass thru the curves is not a good idea.

pay attention to the guy on the yellow zx, but also take a step back and look at yourself some.

your doing shit and keeping it under control, he's doing shit and not. take it from there and keep ur distance from him.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
I have no words...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by warbuk
dude hits an endo in front of you and you roll under him.
you were to close man.

2-up doing wheeli's and hauling ass thru the curves is not a good idea.

pay attention to the guy on the yellow zx, but also take a step back and look at yourself some.

your doing shit and keeping it under control, he's doing shit and not. take it from there and keep ur distance from him.
exactly. it was late when I posted. I meant his rear tire was lifting. as far as riding 2 up, I had a passenger. I'm not all loose and crazy and my girlfriend is a great passenger. she doesnt counter lean or squirm around and do stupid shit to upset the bike. and when we make it out to the wheelie road, she loves hanging on for a couple passes.

the dude on the yellow ZX tried to mimic what some of the other, more seasoned riders in the group were doing. for example, the crazy guy that rides stand ups through highway traffic would sometimes skid to a stop kinda doing a slide like you would on a little BMX bike or something. well the guy on the yellow ZX picks up on this and figures it's the cool thing to do, so he gives it a go. almost highsided into an older UJM that wasnt part of our group.

either way, I'm calling it a leason learned: keep plenty of distance when approaching stoplights in group rides. and I think I'm gonna start getting more involved with the groups prior to riding, talk over the route and make sure that nobody is going to try to ride beyond their abilities.

dragknt: yes we usually ride staggered. approaching the stoplight I didnt count on anyone trying to bust a stoppie/endo, especially since we were mid-pack. and like I said, the guys I normally ride with all make it a point to signal before trying anything. I have gone through rider training, not MSF but similar.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
yea man i ride 2-up myself. my girl doesn't move around either. that dude hitting an endo midway in the pack is stupid. round here ur up front or in the back. all u gotta do is signal and peeps will give u room to do what ever.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Modular- you are a squid. the did your best wheelie riding two up? hooray for you. you hang out on wheelie road? this is the pot calling the kettle black. if i saw you riding a two up wheelie, i would probably be on here the next day complaining about squids!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by nick041881
Modular- you are a squid. the did your best wheelie riding two up? hooray for you. you hang out on wheelie road? this is the pot calling the kettle black. if i saw you riding a two up wheelie, i would probably be on here the next day complaining about squids!
yeah, I said I was a squid. I'm not a pot calling anything black. I know I was tired as hell when I posted originally, and I made some mistakes in my post. but I thought I made it clear what the case is here. yes that night I rode my best wheelie, and my best wheelie with a passenger. I'm baby stepping the progress, not quite to the point where I'm riding it out for a mile or more up on one. but I'm riding wheelies out for a few blocks or longer. Nick, thanks for making sure you pointed out I am a squid even though I admitted to it to begin with. now I'm going to point out that you're a non-reading flamer that probably has nothing better to do than make yourself feel superior to others. hooray for you buddy.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,422 Posts
lmao...I love nothing-fights. =)

Modular -> This is why I hate riding with squids. I don't really have anything against them, but I'm always expecting them to do shit like endo while in the middle of a pack, because they do it all the time. I can only ride 20-deep for so long thinking that all 19 other guys are even more out-to-get-me than the cagers are, and that's really the only way to ride in a pack thats that imature. I've been rolling to a stop slowly and had a guy roll by me in a 10-o-clock endo, stopped about 3 feet shy of a bike length in front of me, and as he came to a stop his endo started curving a bit and the ass end started swinging toward my bike. Missed me by about 10", but it really got my blood pumping. I wanted to put my kickstand down, kick him off his bike, and stomp his helmetless head with my booted-up foot.. Then stand beside his Gixxer, rev it out to the limiter, and dump the clutch and just let it do it's thing...it's a shame his helmet, which was strapped to the side of the bike, would probably get all sorts of fucked up. It was sort of pretty.

In summary...I don't know how you can ride with guys like that. Even if you ARE a squid yourself.

·
Registered
748 Posts
sometimes, reading threads like this and the responses... i wonder why some folks even bother to own a street-legal sportbike... go buy a scooter.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I don't get it. Was this a story about two different nights where nothing happened??

I saw Napoleon Dynamite, and now I have read this thread.

--David

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
lmao...I love nothing-fights. =)

Modular -> This is why I hate riding with squids. I don't really have anything against them, but I'm always expecting them to do shit like endo while in the middle of a pack, because they do it all the time. I can only ride 20-deep for so long thinking that all 19 other guys are even more out-to-get-me than the cagers are, and that's really the only way to ride in a pack thats that imature. I've been rolling to a stop slowly and had a guy roll by me in a 10-o-clock endo, stopped about 3 feet shy of a bike length in front of me, and as he came to a stop his endo started curving a bit and the ass end started swinging toward my bike. Missed me by about 10", but it really got my blood pumping. I wanted to put my kickstand down, kick him off his bike, and stomp his helmetless head with my booted-up foot.. Then stand beside his Gixxer, rev it out to the limiter, and dump the clutch and just let it do it's thing...it's a shame his helmet, which was strapped to the side of the bike, would probably get all sorts of fucked up. It was sort of pretty.

In summary...I don't know how you can ride with guys like that. Even if you ARE a squid yourself.
goddam son

you're my hero

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.