Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay it's 11pm. I just got home from vanderbilt hospital where my buddy is in the trauma unit.

We were headed back to Columbia after a Managers meeting we had to go to. We stopped at cool springs so I could pick up the new weird al cd. we went to get back on 65 south he went around me on the ramp, (straight area).. then when it swept back to the right he got to far off the left side and got some loose gravel. Then through the grass onto 65 just he almost kept it up but ended up colliding with the front of a semi truck. I was about 30-50yds behind him.. I didn't have my camera on the bike today as I didn't think freeway riding would be too eventful.

I can't even begin to describe what I saw, I thought he was dead for sure.... I pulled over ran out to stop traffic and check on him... he laid lifeless for about 4 minutes,, eyes rolled back and open, but no movement or anything. I didn't want to move him cuz I wasn't sure what all was messed up or if he was alive.. Well good news is he lived so far.. He has 10 broken ribs, lacerated spleen, lacerated kidney, broken ankle, broken heel, punctured lung, dislocated shoulder, and a couple of fractured bones in his back... and a good bit of road rash.. He was wearing wind pants and a windbreaker jacket... so he is burnt up pretty bad.. luckily he had his laptop in his backpack and most of his sliding was done on his back, so his pc is trashed, but it saved a lot more skin for him.. I will upload a couple of pics asap

·
Registered
297 Posts
Shit...I don't even know what to say other than I hope he ends up being ok. Those are some pretty bad injuries.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am seriously thinking about this whole bike thing, I mean I love it, but after watching him bounce around on the freeway and lay there like that,, then to look into his eyes as he was out of it just moaning and groaning.. I don't know if I am ready to hop up on that horse again[xx(]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it wasn't me who went down.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
dude that sucks. hope your friend gets better. how fast were you all going if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Fuckin bummer dude.

I hope he makes a full recovery and that you both get back in the saddle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's some pretty bad injuries.. [:M71]
Hopefully he has medical so that he doesn't have to worry too much about the cost for recovery and just recover peacefully. Too bad he didn't have on leathers. (not that it would have helped any of the broken bones. Just for the burning..)

Stay safe y'all..

----
Rubber side down..

http://www.ninja500r.info

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your buddy. I wish him a full and speedy recovery. Hopefully both of you will be up and riding again some day.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Wishing a speedy recovery! As for you not riding again, I could understand your dilemma after witnessing that....just do what is right for you and what makes you happy, bike or no bike.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Wow Mike, I just heard about that happening this morning from a coworker. I was hoping it wasn't someone I knew. Glad to hear that he is alive, it could have been a lot worse.

So whats this guy's background, what kind of bike was it, is he new to riding?

I'm not trying to preach (I'm guilty of acting squidly on occasion), but it sounds like he was being a little careless with the turn. Definetely the wrong place to get carried away. How fast was he going?

Well I hope he gets better soon. I understand you questioning this whole motorcycle thing. Just take a break, get your head right and when your ready, jump back on.

Keep us up to date on his recovery. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you to everyone for your kind words and prayers. We were riding a little harder than normal prior to the accident, just enjoying the bikes like most of us do. I was only around 70 coming down the ramp, I estimate his speed was around 80-85 when he hit the semi. We were talking about how he is faster in the turns than I am. While we were at best buy, he asked me if I wanted to switch bikes and he would show me what my bike could do since I am still a little leary about leaning it with a lot of speed. Obviously I didn't switch. I hate riding other peoples bikes, they just don't feel right ever.

he had an older interceptor 750, at the hospital last night he asked about it. I told him I started to pick up some of the pieces, but it was a lost cause, his bike basically shattered on impact

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Damn. Sorry to hear that. I hope he has a full recovery. And yeah how fast were u guys going? About how fast was the semi going?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FOR all those wanting to know the speeds

I was at the last curve of the on ramp I was running around 70 or so

He was probably doing 80-85mph

The semi was running around 75-80

They collided like a "v" >
sorry I don't feel like drawing it all out in paint, but you guys get the idea

·
Registered
58 Posts
Someone from above was looking out for your buddy. I know it’s hard to believe due to the horrific injuries he suffered but the fact that he is alive is a blessing. An incident like this always reminds me of how dangerous ridding on the street can be.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^^agreed^^^^^

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.