Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my friends just got a bike, its a katana 600 and from what ican tell its a show bike? It has air bags and a stereo system, a custom paint job, and my friend is SO PROUD! Problem is its his 1st bike, he hasnt EVER been on 2 wheels! Doesnt even own a helmet yet!! And all i wanna do is call him an idiot! He traded his car for this bike so it didnt cost him anything but imo it was a bad deal! How would u tell someone that the bike they just bought n love was a bad decision!? 1side of me just thinks to keep it to myself n let him learn on his own, but as a friend i feel like i should b honest with him! Except i dont want to ruin his day, ive tried to explain to always wear gear and what not, and that id remove all those mods they have on it like the air bags and stereo..

I really wanna be happy for him! Finally sum1 i can ride with!! But not if ill end up riding to his funeral, or to see him in the hospital, i feel as though its my duty as a friend, and more experienced rider to explain to him

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Don't take it the wrong way....

Stop being a bitch and just tell him?

If he's your friend idk why you can't just be straight foward.

·
Registered
287 Posts
IMO u should have no say on how nice or rediculous his bike is.... It is his bike. He wanted it and he got it. You can't change that and it's not your place to bring him down from his happy place. BUT! It can be your job to remind and teach him about gear and safe riding.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO u should have no say on how nice or rediculous his bike is.... It is his bike. He wanted it and he got it. You can't change that and it's not your place to bring him down from his happy place. BUT! It can be your job to remind and teach him about gear and safe riding.
This was my dilemma, i dont feel like i have any right to tell him he chose the wrong bike, but as a friend and fellow rider i feel like i should help him to be as safe as possible, but how do u tell someone thats never been on a bike that a stereo is stupid!? That the airbags cause a bigger problem than serving a purpose.. When he thinks these things make his bike "bad ass"

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Your friend doesn't need telling. Theres a reason why bikes don't come with these things. Your friend will realize one day that he cannot hear his stereo going around twisties and his airbags make him slow as balls forever, frustrating him to no end, seeing his mates actually have fun on their performance bikes, and he will tear his shit apart himself or sell it and get a ninja or something.

Or he'll just cruise and park up like what it was customized for. Either way, dont fret haha. Laugh at him in his face often though, but dont tell him why (cause many other people will).

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Obviusly anyone that buys a motorcycle with air bags is not going to listen to your advice.

Just forward him the 1 hour long motorcycle cashes video or the russian motorcycle crash video to see if he would change his mind.

One time I saw a guy on a katana he just got, it was scrapped on the side so I asked him what happened, he showed me his collar bone and it was sticking out in a freaky way, he said he crashed a while ago and that he finally was going to get someone to look at it because he thinks it is broken.

he had no tag, no helmet and was talking about running from the cops if one pulled up on the lot.

He is just asking for it...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Tell him, in a neutral tone, don't mock him, just tell him straight.

about the safety aspects, and that you want him to live.

and about bikes, and technology advancing quickly. nothing wrong with his bike but it's outdated and newer bikes have more technology which equates to a safer ride.

as far as the farkles on his bike, that's up to him. he doesn't need your approval to ride a pos. let it go.

someone just told me my dog was so ugly he's cute. normally that'd be fighting words for me (I'm a gal), and I didn't say a word to the idiot. I just took my dog (which he was gushing all over) and left. dick.

just to be clear, my dog isn't ugly - but even if he was, you don't say that, right? who says that? don't be that guy.

some things are better left unsaid. but as far as safety, tell him. take the MSF course, etc. in the end, Darwin's theory wins and evolution wins. your friend, if he doesn't evolve will suffer the consequences.

good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts