Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 2006 636 with about 11,000 on the clock and ive started to notice a weird feel when i hit the front brakes. Its not very noticable when im moving very fast but at low speeds it feels like the brakes are pulsing or grabbing then letting off. Went to the bike shop and they told me that the rotors were straight and the pads had at least 50% life left. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
254 Posts
i would have suspected warped rotors too. maybe something got on the rotors in one spot so they dont grab as good in that one spot. any work done on it recently?

try cleaning rotors off with some rubbing alcohol on paper towell.

then i would try cooking it off.... get up to around 65 or 70 and heave on that front brake to a dead stop. im talking grab those effers hard as u can without doin a stoppie the whole way. do this like 10 times or so, enough to get everything totally heated up and see how it is afterwards

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
i would have suspected warped rotors too. maybe something got on the rotors in one spot so they dont grab as good in that one spot. any work done on it recently?

try cleaning rotors off with some rubbing alcohol on paper towell.

then i would try cooking it off.... get up to around 65 or 70 and heave on that front brake to a dead stop. im talking grab those effers hard as u can without doin a stoppie the whole way. do this like 10 times or so, enough to get everything totally heated up and see how it is afterwards

If this doesn't work and you are sure your rotors are not warped, you may want to swap out the pads and brake fluid as well. I'm relatively easy on brakes but 11,000 miles is gettin up there, IMHO. Just for peace of mind I'd change pads and fluid even if the above procedure does seem to work for you. Good luck.

·
Powerhungry
38,380 Posts
If this doesn't work and you are sure your rotors are not warped, you may want to swap out the pads and brake fluid as well. I'm relatively easy on brakes but 11,000 miles is gettin up there, IMHO. Just for peace of mind I'd change pads and fluid even if the above procedure does seem to work for you. Good luck.
no doubt, flush the fluid..just cuz it prob needs it.
but im well over 20k on the stock brakes..with plenty of life left.

you need to get a 3m scrubber, and buff the shit outta the rotors.
theyre VERY hard material. and takes ALOT to scratch them. dont be afraid to really buff them good.

make sure to bed the pads in good afterwords.
you will have reduced braking power for the first few stops...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a similar experience when the pads got glazed from hard braking. Look at them - if they look shiny and/or kind of rainbow colored they are glazed. The glaze comes from metal transfer from the rotors at high temps. Makes them alternately weak and grabby, no matter how much meat is left on them. I replaced my pads and had the rotors bead-blasted and it fixed the problem. Make sure the brakes are not dragging by spinning the wheel on a front stand.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, ill have to try all this tomorrow. Its been raining here for the last three days, not sure i wanna get out and try to brake it hard enough to almost stoppie in a downpour. Ill let you know how it goes.

·
Powerhungry
38,380 Posts
I had a similar experience when the pads got glazed from hard braking. Look at them - if they look shiny and/or kind of rainbow colored they are glazed. The glaze comes from metal transfer from the rotors at high temps. Makes them alternately weak and grabby, no matter how much meat is left on them. I replaced my pads and had the rotors bead-blasted and it fixed the problem. Make sure the brakes are not dragging by spinning the wheel on a front stand.
in which case..he could sand the rotors..aswell as the pad surface.

pad material gets built up in microscopic holes in the rotor surface. if it gets built up more in one area, than it will be GRABBY there. and can cause a pulsation.

OR replace them...as you suggested.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in which case..he could sand the rotors..aswell as the pad surface.

pad material gets built up in microscopic holes in the rotor surface. if it gets built up more in one area, than it will be GRABBY there. and can cause a pulsation.

OR replace them...as you suggested.

Will sanding the rotors be sufficient if they do have pad material glazed to them or will i need to get them sand blasted or something similar to remove it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Akkk! Do not sand the rotors. Can't imagine what amount of uneven surface creepiness that would cause. But get them bead blasted (machine shop or bodyshop) or just clean them with brake cleaner and scotch brite to start with and replace the pads. Never had any luck sanding pads, and for the small investment, why screw around?. These are your brakes, not something to play around with. I don't mean to get barky here, but if your brakes are not reliable, the next thing is a crash. Ow.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Akkk! Do not sand the rotors. Can't imagine what amount of uneven surface creepiness that would cause. But get them bead blasted (machine shop or bodyshop) or just clean them with brake cleaner and scotch brite to start with and replace the pads. Never had any luck sanding pads, and for the small investment, why screw around?. These are your brakes, not something to play around with. I don't mean to get barky here, but if your brakes are not reliable, the next thing is a crash. Ow.

Sanding them is perfectly fine as long as a higher grit is used. You obvously don't wanna be hitting it with a 320 or anything.

·
Powerhungry
38,380 Posts
Sanding them is perfectly fine as long as a higher grit is used. You obvously don't wanna be hitting it with a 320 or anything.
exactly. you arent going to hurt these things, theyre friggin HARD.

i pull the rotors, and chuck them up on our brake lathe. turn it on, and use the 3m buffin pad to buff the shit out of them.

works GREAT.

oh, and its 50 GRIT PAD.
trust me, these rotors are made out of some VERY tough stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes - the 3M buffing pad is fine and won't hurt them. That's what I meant by Scotchbrite. But when folks said "sanding" I had visions of him attacking nice smooth rotors with 60-grit paper. :eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got the brakes good and hot like suggested and they felt a little better afterwards, then cleaned em up with a 3m buffer, got even better, but there is still the slightest bit of pulsing at low speed braking. think sanding them with some really fine grit paper would do the trick or should i just have a shop check it out?

·
Powerhungry
38,380 Posts
got the brakes good and hot like suggested and they felt a little better afterwards, then cleaned em up with a 3m buffer, got even better, but there is still the slightest bit of pulsing at low speed braking. think sanding them with some really fine grit paper would do the trick or should i just have a shop check it out?
prob didnt get everyting off when u buffed the rotors.

what kind of 3m buffer did you use? the discs?
the whats i use, dont be afraid to really buff the shit out of it. your not going to hurt anything.

you can sand the pads too. LIGHTLY.
just lay some sand paper down flat, and rub the pas across it. keep the surface parallel with the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts