Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00 zx6r and when I pull in my front brake lever its not smooth it is real notchy it has like hard spots in it, makes it impossible to apply the brake smoothly. I replaced the pads and the rotors just this past winter. It not only does it when I am riding but even if it is parked in the building and I pull it.. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Also does anyone know what year mast cylinders will fit on it..I have thought about puttin one off a newer bike on it...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I'd take the brake lever off and clean and regrease the pivot.

Fresh fluid wouldn't be a bad idea if its not been done.

A newer ZZR600 master would be a safe bet. Any master cylinder of the same size piston will "work". The 6 piston calipers were common from ~96-2003 on many many bikes.... Virtually all Jap bikes use the same size banjo fitting/bolt. You can buy a brand new Nissin master...

NEW R1 R6 R6S FZ6 FZ1 NISSIN 5/8" BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER | eBay

Switching to a radial style master cylinder will require new brake lines.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I would check the master for sure. Definately flush with new fluid. I had a gsxr that came in that sat for years and the fluid in the master was solid. First time i've seen that.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I posted a pic of the fluid that came out of some 1997 calipers....like brown jello.

On my 2002 track bike I also disassembled and cleaned the calipers...the caliper pistons get chalked up with brake dust and other road grime that can prevent them from moving smooth. On my bike I noticed they released really well after the cleaning...I didn't even replace any seals...just cleaned and reassmbled.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
if you're feeling it at the lever it's probably the pivot or the piston in the mastercylinder.

when the seals in the calipers get fucked they have no problem allowing the pistons to extend. it's when they try to retract you run into problems

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I posted a pic of the fluid that came out of some 1997 calipers....like brown jello.

On my 2002 track bike I also disassembled and cleaned the calipers...the caliper pistons get chalked up with brake dust and other road grime that can prevent them from moving smooth. On my bike I noticed they released really well after the cleaning...I didn't even replace any seals...just cleaned and reassmbled.
I found the same to be true on my 06 zx6r. Cleaned the pistons up good with warm soapy water and a toothbrush and the movement was much more smooth. I didn't even bother pulling the seals because it was a week before the track and I couldn't risk messing up a seal but the difference was still noticeable.

Also as J pointed out, start with fresh fluid. I didn't see you mention it and if you haven't looked at it you've probably got some really old stuff in there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. Chuck bear i havnt changed my fluid since the beginning of the riding season last year, it just seems to have started this within the last few weeks, if i am going fast it doesnt affect me that much, but at red lights i look like an idiot grabbing the brake to hard lol..

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Masters that will work with your stock lines:

00-04 ZX6R
05-08 ZZR600
04/05 ZX10R
03-06 Z1000/750

As already stated, you can swap to an upgraded master cylinder if you like. 05+ master cylinders are radial masters and give you much better braking. The newer the model, the better the master. So 07/08 is better than 05/06, but not by leaps and bounds. I have an 09 CBR master cylinder for example. They all bolt on because the clip ons are the same size. With the radial masters though you'll need to run your throttle cables up and over the master rather than under due to the orientation of the brake line coming from the bottom of the master rather than the side like on yours. I hope you get it figured out.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Def. would start with a brake fluid flush with the current m/c, then go from there. with all this heat and humidity, we're hearing more and more of similar issues. Hope you get it sorted and ride safe. :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts