Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I topped off my brake fluid yesterday because it was very empty. After today's ride I saw that there was brake fluid all over my fairings and forks. Looks like its leading from the lid. Even though everything is tight. Do the seals go bad?

Also my lever is very spongy. Could there be air in the lines?

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,549 Posts
Yes seals go bad and yes you could have air in the lines. What about your banjo bolts? Anything leaking there?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I did over fill it. But what are rubber bellows?
i think the rubber seal inside the your brake fluid reservoir...

check your banjo bolt connected to your front lever/MC.... mine was leaking out of this spot and similar fluid spray...forks fairings etc.

if you still can figure it out, you may need new crush washers (the copper fittings that go in between your brake lines on the banjo bolt...these items are one time use...in order to get an air tight seal.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
This is how the parts of the front brake reservoir go together:

The bellows is part #43028

Attachments

·
Pursebully
37,563 Posts
If you haven't yet, make sure you thoroughly clean all of the brake fluid from painted surfaces. It can dissolve the paint.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would just change all the brake fluid out, bleed at all three bleeder screws, b/c what's sitting in the res, isn't going to make it down into the calipers.

also don't just wipe the BF off the fairings, use some soap and water, to get it off and then wipe. I sprayed a little BF on the display, I wiped it off, but over time, it's created white spots on the plastic face, b/c the BF is that corrosive.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Everything is good now . when I initially topped it off. I didn't remove the bellows, therefore it was spilling out when I was riding.

Thanks guys!
I'm sorry, that's funny. Live and learn. I hope your fairings didn't get too f'd up.

So the brake feel is where it's supposed to be now too?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Bleeding the brakes is pretty simple. Or you can pay a shop $100 to do it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You need an 8mm wrench, two hands, an empty bottle and some tubing (that fits the bleeder screw.

since you don't have a vacuum, you'll be doing it old school.

1) with the wrench on the the bleeder screw (crescent side), and the tubing on the outlet of the bleeder screw,

2) pump the front brake lever somewhat rapidly, maybe 4-6 times, hold the brake lever tight, then crack the screw open about 1/2 turn. ease your pressure on the brake lever as the fluid come out, so you don't slam it. once the brake lever has compressed all the way, hold it in that position, close the bleeder screw. let go of the lever.

repeat 3-4 times, on each bleeder screw and MC. I think it's left caliper, right caliper, MC, as the left is the furthest from the MC.

same goes for the rear brake.

bam, you just saved $90.

also, use a good syn brake fluid like motul 600 or ATE super blue.

I would also clean the caliper pistons, but that's me.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would just change all the brake fluid out, bleed at all three bleeder screws, b/c what's sitting in the res, isn't going to make it down into the calipers.

also don't just wipe the BF off the fairings, use some soap and water, to get it off and then wipe. I sprayed a little BF on the display, I wiped it off, but over time, it's created white spots on the plastic face, b/c the BF is that corrosive.
The same thing happened to my display!!! :(

I got some brake fluid around the master cylinder when I installed the SS lines, sprayed some cleaner on it and wiped it off. Apparently the overspray got on the display and windscreen and etched them. I used Nexus plastic polish on the wind screen and it's mostly back to normal, but the display still has some white spots. I need to try the Nexus stuff on that next.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys, I figured I would update this thread. I'm having issues with my front lever having little pressure.

After topping off my reservoir - i decided to take my bike in to get the brakes bled. A week after, I had no front brake lever pressure. It was very squishy. Pretty much I had to use my rear brake at all times.

I took the bike to the shop where they did the work previously, and they mentioned that that it could be a couple things; they recommend me to upgrade my brake lines and remove the ebay levers that I have on the bike. He said the lever could not be aligning well and causing the lever to be very squishy.

I still have the OEM brake lever, should I put that on instead? When I squeeze the front lever, it touches my fingers completely. This is very annoying when riding through corners.. I have a track day this weekend!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts