Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
The pads could possibly be glazed, pull them all out give the pad surface a hit with a wire brush blow them off and put it all back together. If this only fixes the problem for a short period of time before the squeak comes back you will need to replace the pads. Be careful what you squirt around the brakes when cleaning your bike, some products such as degreaser and bike shine will soak into your pads and burn when the pads get hot causing them to glaze over thus reducing performance and sometimes making them squeal. Contaminated pads can also lead to brake shudder and grab.

Hope this helped.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I get the same squeak. I thought it was that I needed to change the pads but I just replaced the factoy to EBC and they squeak as well. Maybe it is the degreaser that I'm using. I just started to use that honda shine on my bike. Could that be it and if so how can I solve this problem?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A bit of noise is not uncommon, and quick fixes like rubbing alcohol do not last.

The backing plates on the EBC pads often warp, pushing them against the rotor. If you put the bike on a stand and then rotate the front wheel by hand, you can see that it rotates less freely than with the stock pads. The brakes will be noisier and can warp in time.

The noise can be made worse by cleaning supplies. Degreaser and even water can get a bit of rust on the rotor, and the brakes will be noisier after that. If you get your brakes wet, you will have to learn to live with a bit of noise.

If the rotors are glazed, you can remove the glaze by beadblasting them, and the noise will then go away. But it may come back if they get wet.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
So in other words it's just a noise i'll have to live with but wont affect the bike's performance right?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The bit of noise will not affect braking.

If the brakes often get wet, in time they will vibrate quite perceptibly to stops or near-stops. You can solve the problem by cleaning the pistons and beadblasting the rotors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been using the Honda cleaner on my bike and would use it on the disks as well. I stopped cleaning the disks with it and used some steel wool and compressed air to clean the disks of any residue. It seems to have worked, I haven't heard the noise since I did this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.