Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the story, basically my brakes felt fine until one day i forgot to take off my front disc lock and rode off about 2 feet and the front locked up and i dropped the bike on the left side. so i go to pick it up and the bike was fine except for the brake lever now felt way more softer then before. i tried bleeding the brakes out at the caliper, and that didn't help much. any other suggestions?

i checked the rotors and took off the caliper to check out the brake pads and they looked fine as well. this sucks because i really miss the touchy feeling my brakes used to have

·
Registered
285 Posts
You have a bent rotor, I did the same thing. It's an expensive mistake...1 rotor is 240.00 bucks. I quick way to tell is to look down at the rotor while spinning the wheel, you can hear it and see it.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Im half and half on this one... It could be either the bent rotor pushing the pistons back into the caliper housing and making it so you have to pump the lever a little to take up that space that the rotor moved the pistons in OR it could simply be air induced into the system, you said it tipped so its not unlikely that air got into the master, even a little would cause problems.. I would try re-bleeding if you cannot physically see the rotor bent.. Bleeding has always been a challenge on the bikes because the lines run straight up and down, the best way to bleed is to start at the bottom and work your way to the top actually, let gravity help you.. What we do to bleed these things is get an oil can from a hardware store and some vacuum line that will fit over the bleeder nipple and the end of the can, fill the can with your brake fluid and attach the line to the opened bleeder. Open the resivour cap and mop out some of the fluid in resivour so its lower then it should be.. Then slowly pump your oil can and see what comes out into the resivour, if there is air, you'll see it! Then do the same for the other side and fill up the resivour to where you want it.. After that i'd bleed it the traditional way again to get some fluid movement the other way.. If you cant get all the air out of the system like that i'd be very amazed.. ;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Spitz is onto something here, but, rather than relying on only your eyes to see if the rotor is bent you could take a firm piece of metal, like a coat hanger, and use it as a guide. Pick a point to mount it, like the front axle pinch bolts, then cut and bend the wire so it lightly touches the side of the rotor. You don't want the wire to be exerting any pressure on the rotor, otherwise there's no point in this whole exercise. When you spin the wheel you will have a point of reference rather than counting solely on your eyes since the rotor could be bent so slightly that it could be nearly impossible to see. If the rotor is bent it will either push the wire aware from its position of rest or there will be a gap between the wire and the rotor. If this eliminates a bent rotor then I'd bleed the brakes again. Bleed both calipers doing it enough to have replaced all of the fluid in the entire system.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Originally posted by kawasaki-triple-black
IT"S bent i did the same thing 5 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Of course, it happened to you so it must be this guys problem right? You people need to quit assuming things and just give them info on how to check to see if it really is his problem like swat geek did.. On the wire idea you could also use a dial indicator if you have one around with a base to mount to something solid, same principal as swat geeks wire just with a measuring gauge.. I think 5-7 thousandths is max runout on something like that..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Also it may need bleeding. Regular pump/blled does not work if air is in the manifold or right at the master cylinder.

I ran a full pint through my GPz and still it was spongey. Had air trapped in the crossover manifold. You would pump up, bleed. But by the time you closed, pumped up again, the bubble would travel back up the pipe to the manifold.

Used a vacuum bleeder. First try, over an ounce of fluid came out then two bubbles. No more brake problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i checked the rotor today and it is slightly bent =(. i guess i'll just have to fix that or get a new one. i'll definitely try giving another bleed though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by AzntaggeR
i checked the rotor today and it is slightly bent =(. i guess i'll just have to fix that or get a new one. i'll definitely try giving another bleed though.
That sux..hopefully you can find a good deal on a stock one or upgrade to galfer(sp)? I think they are the same price as a new stock disk..but the catch is you gotta buy 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.