Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clicky forks, the G & J models do it, Disturbing but normal:D.
As for the brakes rubbing, thats normal as well but you don't say how old the bike is. We have the roads gritted in the UK in the winter and I just split and refurbished the tokico 6 pots on my mates ZX9R (c1) a couple of nights ago. The salt gets behind the outer dust seal in its groove and creates a lump of furry oxide which needs scraping out. This pushes the seal against the pistons and makes them stick, which in turn causes the pads to rub against the rotors. The seals as long as they are not perished can be cleaned carefully and put back with a smear of rubber grease.
The only problem is I have to do mine now as my mates feel so progressive [8D].

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi all! I am having trouble identifying a noise coming from the the front end. i will try to explain it, here goes.... It only happens under moderate to heavy braking, usually just before i come to a stop (going like 5-10km/h, it's like a click noise that i can hear and very slightly feel through the bars. i think its something to do with the pads on the discs?? Or perhaps its the calipers moving a bit under the stress of braking? Is this possible? Why would it be happening nearly every time I come to a stop though? Also, i can hear the pads rubbing on the discs when i am walking my bike around (engine off) and the noise is intermittent (rubbing, then not rubbing, rubbing etc.) Does this mean disc/s are warping or damaged some how? Any info would be much appreciated. It is really bugging me!:(

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."
-Scottish Proverb

·
Registered
130 Posts
dont know about the clicking but the pad rubbing the roter when pushing the bike is normal my 2002 did it with only 2000 miles or less cant really recall but it is norm

ASS,GRASS,OR GAS NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE! THE TANK IS FULL AND I DONT SMOKE SO FIGURE IT OUT

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 2002 ZX636 with 6000kms. I can accept the rubbing to be normal, but if the discs are rubbing shouldnt they be rubbing all the time when I'm walking the bike instead of intermittent.(On, off, on, off and so on..)? Also, the clicking noise is not many clicks, it's just one click most times I come to a stop. Would this be caused by the forks when they compress a certain distance? This would explain it as the front suspension gradually loads up as u brake to a stop. Could this be it and is it normal? Also is it normal for the front brakes to squeal when braking in slow traffic/coming to a stop? I have checked the pads and there is still plenty left in them. Sorry if i'm being paranoid but I like to know my bike.[:I]:)

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."
-Scottish Proverb

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Rotors can warp but mainly the cause for this type of symptom is sticking caliper pistons. The Rotors float on 'buttons' and the pistons slide back and forth freely in the calipers which are fixed rigid onto the leg to soak up the float in the rotor.
Make sure that the pistons aren't sticking before buying new rotors.

Ash

BTW I stripped and cleaned mine yesterday and I had a slight judder which has now vanished and they are like new in action.[8D]

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.