Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have a 2000 zx6r and my front calipers were completly stripped and new seals allround. now they have gone to Sh*t again. I want some GOOD nissin calipers etc or something off a bigger bike that do a better job. something like sp2 calipers or something like that. either something that doesnt need modding, or something that does.

The first one is more appealing tho

Cheers Guys

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
aside from radial calipers......these brakes rate tip top.

what are yours not doing??....fading?leaking?....you have a warped rotor causing unseen issues???

HH pads, steel lines and fresh DOT 4 fluid is a killer stoppie combo!!

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
brnys: i stripped and redid mine last year and went back to oem pads, new brake lines (only cos i split my old ss lines) castrol brake fluid and they are bloody lethal even with cold tyres. The only way your going to be able to go with nissins is if you replace the forks to be able to cater for the radial brakes, you will more than likely need to change the wheel and spindle and possibly the yokes as well.

Russ

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Problem with them is the lever touches the bike when i get on inthe morn but after a few miles and some heavy braking they come up a bit meaning they get harder. i have seen a few people putting sp2 calipers on nc30's with a new mounting bracket that has been machined to fit the origional forks then are modded to fit whatever calipers you desire. measurements allowing.

i replaced the seals m/cylinder int new lines and new pads and fluid. they were stripped and cleaned, (i'm a perfectionist) they were good for a few months then sh*t again. Just buy new calipers. Just New Replacement reccom??

sorry it took so long to reply

Cheers guys

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i would say before you go out buying new calipers you invest in some ss lines and some good brake fluid, and then bleed them and try it out, should be good for awhile until fluid is needed. It all depends on how much you use them determines how muh you need to change the fluid, i beleive every 6 months or so fluid is meant to be changed...
ben

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
did you change the type of fluid?...dot 5 is water based(i think) and 5.1 is the high end stuff (or vise versa)...what brand did you use?..open bottle from old?

either way, it air in there from somewhere!!....keep bleeding them, it will go away....

new pads(HH+) and fresh fluid(dot 4) and steel lines and I have one finger braking....you can too...!!!

good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the lines and have sintered pads and used silkolean dot 4
i work in a bike shop and we do sell 5.1 and its like £7 quid ($14) for 250ml
I bled and bled and bled it and then some. like i said it was cool at first then after a few months going again. I even had my mate look at them and he's a mechanic. ive noticed the pads click almost like the pad seats are worn just a few mm i bought another set of 98 model calipers so i wil just strip them and stick them on, they are exactly the same. just two of the six pistons in each caliper on the 2000-02 model are smaller for some reason. dunno.

oh yeah i know brake fluid is supposed to be changed according to use or time in the bike. but 5.1 states it should be changed yearly without fail. will i have to flush the system if i change to 5.1 or just bleed at the dot 4 and re fill with 5.1?

cheers again

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
personally, the DOT 4 should be plenty of heat range for normal driving...heck, even race use !!!just more changes.

i too am a mechanic(motorcycle), and hate to ask stupid questions, but have to be asked....naturally.

1 are you bleeding from the bottom to the top?
2 are you bleeding the coupler joints(banjo bolts)?
3 are you tapping the lines to coax out the air?
4 are you turnig the steering to make the bleed nipple the highest point?
5 are you getting a good pressure after the first pump to prime the line?

if all is good then the master cylinder would be the next suspected villian....manual says to replace seals every 2yrs?...5yrs?....

either way, if it too was leaking the it will let in moisture and fail with pressure applied.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
in my opinion, our stock calipers suck. they are very prone to dirt getting in the seals and mucking up everything. sticking pistons and dragging pads are very common. if you have the $$$ to drop, you could do a whole front end swap( forks, wheel, brakes, etc) from a newer 636 for the radial calipers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.