Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got into bikes. I knew I should have brought someone more knowledgeable with me when I purchased privately. Bike was down and I figured it was an easy fix. Its a 99zx6r the bike had low miles but had fairing damage. I rode the bike, nothing vibrated, ran great other than seems like its rich and needs the carbs sync'd. Ends up when I put on the new fairings the wheel is on the plastic so something is bent. Damnit just my luck! I read a few posts on here about this stuff and found a upper and lower triple clamp on ebay for 75 bucks.

Question is, what is worst case situation in replacement of parts? Forks, triple clamp and frame, anything else? How do I tell if the forks are bent, what do i have to take out and check w/ a square or something? How hard is it to change a frame, like whats involved and can I doit in the garage w/ a jack?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have my zx6r suspended from the rafters right now, sending the forks and shock to get rebuilt. If you have a garage, you should be able to do this as well. Get some tie downs, nylon webbing or tow straps and hoist that sucker up. You'll need to put in some sturdy bolts or drill 1" (or larger) holes straight through the beams (poke the "suspenders" through the hole). I put the straps throught the holes in the frame that the cables and wires go through. That allows the frame to carry the weight, not the top clamp.

I'm too cheap to buy a front end stand, I'd rather spend the money on race tires. I also put two jack stands under the frame just below the swing arm pivot. This holds the bike steady. This is also necessary if your taking out your Ohlins shock to get rebuilt.

Now your ready to remove the wheel (don't forget to remove the brake calipers and hang them out of the way and remove anything attached to the fork tubes) and check your forks. Lossen up the triple clamps but do not drop the forks yet. Take a measurement from a hard point on the bike (engine, frame etc) to a known point on the forks. Write it down. Now spin the fork tubes 180 degrees and take the same measurement from the same two points. If the number is the same, your fuk'd. That means forks good, frame bad. If the you come up with two different measurements, then the forks are not straight.

Merry Christmass.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you need to change out your frame you can leave the bike suspended while you strip it down. When you get to the engine you'll need a jack, some blocks of wood, a friend and some beer (not in that order). Once stripped, suspend new frame and start building.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a garage to hoist it w/. thanks for the advice in the forks. There any other way to do this if need be? Can't I just put the bike on a jack under the motor? Also, time is ok I guess, Its a project bike, but now Im worried its going to cost me alot of cash to fix. I don't really want this a as a stunt bike cause Im a beginner, I d be replacing parts again anyway! I want to ride it on the street.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i hung mine from underneath a ladder....as for the forks...a better more acurate way to check em is to remove em completely and roll the main metal sleaves ( i don't know the proper tech term) on a flat surface and watch for light shining through.
the mech that checked out my bike at first said that my triples were definately bent, but they weren't the forks were...i got the fork sleaves straightened for real cheap, put in a new frame ([}:)] pissed me off a bit that thing did)( it was 3mm not too wide)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that must have been a strong ladder. I guess I will have to see what you mean when I get the forks off about light shining through.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Spartan means, light shining through from under the fork tubes as you roll them on the flat surface. If they are bent you will see light under it as you roll it. The preferred technique is suppose.

If you don't want to trust a ladder you have some options. Buy a steering stem stand or buy some 4x4 from Lowes and make a small frame to hang it from.

No offense Spartan, but I barely trust ladders to stand on. I wouldn't want to trust my Ti headers on the ladders load bearing capacity (bike falls, engine crushes headers). A for creativity and balls though, "bob's yer uncle".

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think what i will do for now is use the ladder to stablize it w/ tow straps and use a block of wood under the motor. I think there is a spot weret eh headers are not under the motor right? Isn't there a stand you can buy for like a hundred bucks or something? Im going to take off the wheel and look at the forks today.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update: i took the wheel off and checked the forks. The left one, which is the side that looks like it took a hit is a tad bent, like about 1/8 and inch out, the right side is fine. This is from my measurements. So ok this is kinda crazy, its not the forks, at least not all of it. I mean I can't even fut stock fairings on thats how far back the wheel is, id say its a good 2 inchs back from were its suppost to be maybe 3 inches. Could the triple tree be this far out of whack? I looked at the fram again, I don't see any signs of stress. The only thing that I can see is that the gas tank bolts seem to be farther forward than they should be, this is my only indication of frame damage. What do you guys think? I have another triple tree coming from a 2001.

Ok it kinda looks closer to frame damage so if I have to do this what sequence should I go to do this. Right now the bike is supported by a jack under the block and a ladder over the bike w/ a tow strap hooked to the sides of the windscreen bar. I was looking at what is involved in replacing a frame and how do you doit without the bike just falling in pieces to the floor? Even if you hoist it, where do you hoist it at?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
DUDE this is exactly what happened to me!! your triples might not be bent at all!! good news trust me! remove the whole front section: triples and forks. dissemble the forks and test out that light shining trick i told you...do that with the triples as well or you can try rock them back and forth on a flat surface. for the fork tubes take em to a shop and see if they can straighten them for ya. not sure about your frame but the tip of mine was bent...i had the same stress opn the gas tank bolts
back with more info later

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yea, ok, so check for a gap that might have opened up between your tank and the frame...that'll show if your frame is bent...since your wheel is against the plastic and radiator (like mine was) i'd think the front of the frame was bent down (like mine was)
also check your wheel to see if that got bent outta shape
once you've figured out how much is bust think about how much $ you want to spend to fix it....might be able to get a similar 2nd hand bike for little over the price fixing this one yourself will cost...provided you do the work yourself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.