Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Riders:

Concours 2001, ZG1000A16 .... Does J-box need rebuild or hot wire?

Is the problem a failed J-box or a wire becoming energized on its own. Heres the scenario...

Front directional lights and instrumentation lights go on after ignition turned off. This is an intermittent problem that only seems to occur after bike is very warm/hot after a long ride. When the lights do comeback on, it happens about 5 to 10 minutes after bike is switched off. when the lights come on on their own, the lights will go off when the ignition is switched On then Off. Already had to buy a new battery last week when the lights came on and i forgot to check them so they drained the battery beyond it being able to take a charge.

The ignition switch was replaced and problem still exists.

I think there is a wire intermittently being energized? There is only a small amount of wires exposed so before i start to tear open the wiring harnesses, do you have any suggestion?

In advance, Thank You

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are still having the problem, pull fuses and see if the lights turn off. If they do you will at least know what circuit is causing the problem.

You have a circuit that is finding a ground and energizing the lights. The challenge is the problem being intermittent. They are the hardest to solve. If it ain't broke you can't fix it!

Good Luck............

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update as I wait for the intermittent problem to reappear.....

The problem with the lights coming on on their own has not yet come to light (pardon the pun). The bike has been on quite a few rides with the longest around 150 miles. It is these longer rides when the bike seems to get really hot that the problem “sometimes” appears. All the other rides have been under 75 miles with no problems when it comes to the lighting situation (I do have a recent “mechanical” problem though).

It’s been a few weeks since I last communicated anything so I figured I would give an update. I plan on a few long trips in October so we’ll see what happens.

Thx for hanging in there with me.

~ David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts