Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Check all the front end bolts for proper torque and/or breakage or missing - brake caliper bolts, front axle retaining bolts, front fender bolts. Also check the brake pad retaining bolts and the clips holding the pads in position for breakage or improper intallation. AND... check the steering stem nuts, make sure there is no movement at the headstock and that all the triple clamp bolts (upper and lower) are present and tight.

All else fails, wear ear plugs and you won't hear the clicking any longer :D ;)

·
Site Sponsor
630 Posts
this isn't a problem to be taken lightly. This is most likely your steering head bearing and race kit.

What can happen, and has happened on mine. Is that if your steering head assembly loosens itself up a bit, the main shaft of the triple will gain a small amount of play in the neck. This small amount will result in a noticeable click, which will progress into a noticeable movement of the bottom of the forks and the tire. When cornering, if this movement occurs, it is VERY unsettling.

To fix this, you need to take off you triple top by lifting the front end up on a front stand and getting down to the bearing holding your steering head. AT THIS POINT YOU WILL NEED A KAWASAKI BEARING TOOL! (or just a screwdriver and a hammer if you don't care about puting a dent into your bearing "bolt") You'll need to release some clips by bending the tips outwards so you can rotate the nut on top of the bearing assy.

Tighten it up by beating it clockwise, replace the tabs (by bending them back into their locking positions) and replace your upper triple assy. (make sure to torque your steering head bolt)

IN THE CASE THAT THIS DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM: you will need a new steering head bearing/ race kit.

I know I need one, too many 80mph wheelies with the loose head really bent my bearings and races out of allignment. I've got mine coming on Thursday for $44.00

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.