Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while back I dropped the bike at 15mph and the steering has been off ever since. Took it to the honda dealer (cause theyre better than kawi around here) and they attempted to straighten up the forks which may have twisted slightly inside the lower and upper triples. They did a quick 25 min attempt and didn't really do shit, so my steering is still off a bit and its driving me nuts!! Should i bring it there again and have them REALLY look at it or should i try loosening up the pinch bolts myself and give the front wheel a nice twist using my legs?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Maybe its the rear not the front thats out? The front shouldn't twist as you have the axle running straight through the fork legs.

Check the rear using two long wooden battens/planks (6ft long)and a paddock stand.
make sure the wood is straight so check them back to back.
place the bike on its paddock stand so its upright with the steering straight .
place one batten against the rear tyre so it touchs at two points as it lays down through to the front wheel. do the same with the other batten on the other side. get someone to help
if the gap is uneven either side of the front tyre and the front of the batten then the rear needs to be adjusted. does that make sense?
The swingarm marks are not always accurate.
Hope this helps:D

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
well if you are feeling it that much, maybe a GMD computrack would help you out and get you straight....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Originally posted by lbknuckles
Maybe its the rear not the front thats out? The front shouldn't twist as you have the axle running straight through the fork legs.
Yeah a buddy of mine dropped his bike going about 40mph into dirt hill. He recently took his bike in for some service and they told him his front was off as well. They said it most like likely is not the forks because they are inverted. Just thought I would throw that out there.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did replace the upper triple already, but you can tell that the actual triple, not the clipons, is off slightly when going straight. even positioning the bike with the front wheel straight at a stop you can see the slight difference.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
my handle bars were recently off a little bit too and my mechanic told me just to bang the wheel against a curb real hard a couple times. Sure enough it worked. They're still not 100% straight but its barely niticeable and im afraid to make it go more in the other direction. I know this is an unproffessional technique and a lot of you wouldnt do it with your bike but hey it worked. Just throwin my two cents in.
And also i never laid the bike down they just became off center by themselves i guess from riding.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Originally posted by JCP636
my handle bars were recently off a little bit too and my mechanic told me just to bang the wheel against a curb real hard a couple times. Sure enough it worked. They're still not 100% straight but its barely niticeable and im afraid to make it go more in the other direction. I know this is an unproffessional technique and a lot of you wouldnt do it with your bike but hey it worked. Just throwin my two cents in.
And also i never laid the bike down they just became off center by themselves i guess from riding.
Yeah dude, I used to do the same things to my dirtbikes when I spilled em all the time. I would be kinda scared to do it with my streetbike though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.