Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let go of the grips, bike is in gear, above 40 mph, and as the bike decelerates, the front wheel starts to wobble and gets worse the longer I leave my hands off. I, and another guy who use to run a shop, have gone through the front end; checked the tire, checked the wheel, checked the forks, checked the steering head. Looked for anything obvious like mis-alaignment, bent forks, weld breaks, bearing stick or slack, and it all checks out. Changed out the tire and balanced, checked the wheel 4 straightness or damage and wheel bearings, forks are straight and fork brace is correct, no play in the steering head and no broken welds. When you are riding the bike the steering is same as it ever was since new, the bike tracks through corners, there is no stick or grind when turning, and the wheel stays stable on acceleration and deceleration, as long as you keep your hands on the grips. Take them off when decelerating, front wheel wobble and head shake. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. When I had it up on the stands, checked the swingarm marks and eyeballed the wheel while giving it a spin. Looked fine. I didn't do the string method, but I might as well do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 500 does the same thing, I read somewhen that the stearing head bolt was not tight enough but htat didnt really change much after tightening.

I use this to insure the rear is straight:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/d/Tire-Repair-Tools/Motion-Pro-08-0048-Chain-Alignment/B000GTVOJQ[/ame]

I did not balance the front wheel after doing the tires and I think that is my issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the String method, and the alignment checks out (lubed the chain while it was on the stand). I checked the steering head bolt (first thing) it's good as well. Honestly I'm flummoxed on this one. There is no flex or other weirdness when accelerating, so I'm not to keen on pulling the body panels and seeing if any of the motor mounts are cracked, because it just doesn't jibe with what's going on with the deceleration. Everything checks out......I'll keep riding it until I feel like taking it in and getting the steering head bearings replaced with all balls bearing set. The stealer said it would be around $300 to remove and replace, not so bad. I'll just keep my hands on the grips. Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts