Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up kawaholics!!!! I have a small issue with my 05 ZX6RR. I just noticed recently that when my bike is on the front stand, the front wheel doesn't spin as freely as it used to. I used to be able to spin the wheel and it would spin for about 3- 45 seconds before coming to a slow stop. Now I tried it and it will barely spin one full rotation. I thought it might be the bearings but as soon as I took off the front left brake caliper, the wheel spins like it used to. I looked at ther caliper and it appears that one of the four pistons is pushed out further than the others. Mabe it is sticking. I pushed that piston back in and re-installed the caliper and the wheel would spin freely. Once I engaged the brakes, the wheel started to hang up again. Is this common and if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
or upgrade them? Maybe the nissin ones? How goes it Pilot? been riding much?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just rode today. Breakin in the new BT016's, so far I like them. Did Lake Hughes and backside of ACH. It was a little cold but fun none the less. How have you been? We need to ride one of these days before it gets too cold. I am not looking forward to a caliper rebuild. I guess I will start researching how to do it.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i would try cleaning it first before i rebuilt it, thats as easy as a can of brake cleaner & a old tooth brush, you'd likely be better off finding a used set for sale, may be cheaper than a rebuild kit

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
Just rode today. Breakin in the new BT016's, so far I like them. Did Lake Hughes and backside of ACH. It was a little cold but fun none the less. How have you been? We need to ride one of these days before it gets too cold. I am not looking forward to a caliper rebuild. I guess I will start researching how to do it.
shouldnt be too hard.

but, like Brit said, id think about swapping the 07+ nissin's on.
they are a HUGE upgrade. night and day difference.

oh yeh....what would a set of calipers be worth? ive got the ones i took off my bike. theyre good, i just upgraded. theyre dirty tho..need cleaned.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am F'in stoked. Found a set of Nissin's from a forum member and am going to pick them up on Tuesday. That means they will be on that night. I will keep my Galfer steel braided lines on and use them. Just have a little slack in the lines. No prob. Any other tips for install would be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice and I look forward to the extra stopping power.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Congrats on the new calipers, gonna do it my self this winter. And its never too cold for track days ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts