Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the front sprocket cover, but the speedometer sensor is in the way. Anyone know of a place that sells some type of mounting bracket for it? Or how to relocate the sensor at the wheel?

·
Registered
216 Posts
You want to remove the cover permanently or something? If you're just trying to remove it to clean it or change sprockets there is just a tiny 8mm bolt to remove the speed sensor to let you pull the cover out. The speed sensor is a magnetic sensor that works by being right near the front sprocket and senses it's revolutions.

·
Registered
445 Posts
No, no one makes a bracket because that would be stupid. There is no reason to take it off other than to make your bike look broken.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You want to remove the cover permanently or something? If you're just trying to remove it to clean it or change sprockets there is just a tiny 8mm bolt to remove the speed sensor to let you pull the cover out. The speed sensor is a magnetic sensor that works by being right near the front sprocket and senses it's revolutions.
Yeah, I mean remove it permanently. I know how to take it off, I've just had it off to try and figure out how to do it permanently..

No, no one makes a bracket because that would be stupid. There is no reason to take it off other than to make your bike look broken.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Motorcycle.com Free App
QUICK, someone call Kawasaki's racing team and tell them they are stupid and their bike looks broken!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
That bike is sick, I doubt they were worrying about the speedo sensor. It looks like there's a huge power commander or something next to the front sprocket. Whoever rides that bike also isn't worried about chain lube getting all over the place either. You'll probably have to make your own bracket holding the speedo sensor in the same proximity. I doubt it's even possible to make it work up by the wheel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoever rides that bike also isn't worried about chain lube getting all over the place either.
I think just wiping the chain with a cloth after applying the chain lube would solve that problem. The biggest problem I see with no sprocket cover, and why I think they put it on there from the factory, is your jeans or shoe laces or something getting caught up in there. But that isn't a problem with moto gear.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
no one makes a bracket for that, i've thought about removing mine, but id rather not have chain wax all over my leathers

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
That little plastic cover doesn't do a thing if your chain breaks. It punches clean through, ask me how I know...

Aside from that, some race orgs require you to not have a speedo or tape over it.

In fact, my '07 race bike doesn't have a front sprocket cover. Though it does make for a LOT more mess. I also changed the front sprocket nut to an '05/'06 because it's smaller and lighter than the '07 which is ridged and freaking huge to work for the speedo pickup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts