Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you remember, I hat lots of trouble trying to remove my stock sprocket last week. I gave up and took it to the dealer whom I bought the bike from - came right off! Anyways, I'm disappointed. WHERE THE HELL IS ALL THAT EXTRA POWER YOU ALL RAVE ABOUT? I could barely notice any improvement. Yes, the new one has 14 teeth, I counted. No, I'm not an idiot. The difference is marginal. To all of you claiming that it's "the best mod for the money", yeah, I guess it surely is better than $700 worth of noisy plumbing that adds all of the whopping 5 hp.[:M42]. As far as I'm concerned, I just wasted a total of $40. Makes me wonder if it's worth spending another 50 bucks on a 2up rear sprocket...

G

·
get ready to adjust ur chain more frequently too. lol

trust me the difference is there. one less tooth will make ur RPMs go up faster, therefore make the bike accelerate faster. im thinking of going +2 on the back.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ninjakid04636
trust me the difference is there...
Too bad I don't feel it, huh... Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect a literbike performance, but I also didn't think the gains would be so minimal.

·
Registered
857 Posts
ppl were moslty talking about if you went -1 front and +2 rear which is like +5 rear to wake it up, i can't see just +2 or just -1 doing much...i'll probly go +2 rear over the winter but the -1 suposedly wears your chain faster so i'll just stick with the +2...shitty you didn't notice much of a difference...if you don't have a pcIII theres something that will actually make a difference....

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
i had -1 upfront and after about 5k got rid of it because it was killing the chain way fast and the high rev's on the highway were annoying. I didnt think it was that big of a difference if anything I liked the original setup 15t. Just have to learn to stay in the powerband and whatnot.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm mostly pissed that I fell for all the hype. Should've known better. At least I didn't go all out blowing money on some fancy exhaust... Whatever.

I don't do much highway riding, barely any. My bike rarely gets above 3rd gear. So high-speed vibrations aren't really an issue. And I couldn't care less what this bike does beyond 100-ish mph. All the reading I've done here made me think that by swapping sprockets I could "channel" all the power to the bottom, make it really fast until it tops out at 120mph or something like that. I guess this requires something like -1+100 setup. Or maybe I should stop dicking around and leave good enough alone.

G

·
gear change doesnt "add" torque or horsepower. it puts u at a slightly higher RPM (closer to powerband) for a given speed. some people feel it and others dont. it was clear to me the -1 on my 04 was working when i was edging a friend's bike with stock gearing. and helped me get an early jump when i beat an 11 second car. at first tho i didnt feel a difference either.

·
Registered
277 Posts
man i would hope you could beat an 11 sec car. These things are capable of low 10's consistantly. much lower with a good pilot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by the_gooey_1
man i would hope you could beat an 11 sec car. These things are capable of low 10's consistantly. much lower with a good pilot.
Much lower than low 10's? As in 9's...8's? Please show me a 6r in stock trim that has done better than a low 10 (and even then only with a good rider). Are you sure you don't mean a 10r?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I RECENTLEY just rode the twisties here in nor-cal, the twisties were fun with the -1 down in front, i havent noticed the bikes chain wearing to much.

i did enjoy the bike and how the -1 in front helped in the twisties, it gave me the power to come into and out of the turns with out having to shift or worry about having to ride agressivley.

if you dont do twisties or like wheelies, dont do the sproket.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not sure but -1 in the front wont do much for you low end unless you go +2 in the rear. Also these bike are run high 10's stock, I have 45 shot on my 06 and best time is a 10.5, if you can get a 636 in to the 9's please let me know the secret,
Thanks
[:+1]slam 150

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by hoser
u dont feel the difference? r u riding in the powerband? how many miles have u ridden before and after the mod? im -1 on the front and it was worth all $25... do u ride the twisties? somethings gotta give man, if u dont feel it there is a reason.
You might have a point powerband-wise. I guess I don't, that was the whole point. I wanted to stay as lazy on the throttle as before, but bring the powerband down, so the smallest crack of throttle would yield a nice jump. Other than that, my daily commute is half twisties, half straight. 2500 miles on the stock sprocket, 15 minutes with the 14t.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I up'd the front to a 16T. I like it!! It still has a nice power band, but it's taller. Gas milage went up to. As for the power of a 636, it isn't bad. What do you need more power for? Does well on the track, the front end is under sprung IMO for a 220 rider. I can drive those forks down in a sec. Anyhoo, I have a vibration issue with it at around 8-9+ and it's ugly. I here a TB adjustment might do some good.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i did -1 front and i felt a HUGE difference.... im powercommanded i dont know if u are but with me i used to be able to pull the bike up at around 10 or 9 grand and now it comes right up around 5... maybe its just me

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey If you wanna run a low 10 high 9, strap the front end, thats all you need. I know guys with R6's running a 9.99 quarter mile with just the front suspension strapped. Google the it and you should find the info about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts