Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Front Sprocket Won't Come Off...

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  jsiegrist 
#1 ·
HELP!!! My Goddamn front sprocket wont come off. I've used an impact tool a torque wrench, my friend LOL nothing will get this fucking bolt off. I want to put my geared sprocket on there to replace my old one but the damn thing wont come off. Does anyone know how to take an 03 636 front sprocket nut off?

#4 ·
gotta ask, which way are u turning it?

#7 ·
What kind of impact wrench are you using? ...I ask because some are only good for about 110 ft-lbs. I'd try a breaker-bar and like Spartan said, slide a longer pipe over the bar for more leverage and place the wrench in such a way that you can push down rather than pull up on it. Just my $0.02

#8 ·
Right BSHAP, a 3/8" impact may not take it off, but a 1/2" should. Depending on how crappy your air gun is or how small your air line is or the capacity of your compressor tank. If you don't have enough tank volume you cannot supply enough flow for impact to work at its full potential. Same thing goes for a hose that is too small.

#13 ·
Originally posted by TommyV
Originally posted by kilaman
gotta ask, which way are u turning it?
I was about to ask the same thing.
ok thats the first thing that came to mind.
second was get and extension and a metal pipe. put the extension on from the wrench to the socket and then the metal piple about 3-4 foot long over the handle.have friend hole it in place and put all you wieght on the metal pipe. and remember LEFTY LOOSEY RIGHTY TIGHTY. LOL if that dont get it off then i dotn know.

#18 ·
lol, dont be so worried, the best way is an impact gun, i really really do not like the idea of a breaker bar with a pipe, sure there is an enormous amount of torque made, but a lot of "side thrust" as i like to call it when using rachets like that.. An impact is straight on, just torque, think about how a rachet works and then throw a deep socket on that, if you dont hold the head of the rachet while someone is jumping on the output shaft it could be unpretty.. Usually the head of the bolt or the nut will round off before this happens but when it does you will wish you had a different name.

#19 ·
Originally posted by 2k6r520
fawk it, i'm having the shop do it. I bought the 27mm socket and i rather pay someone to do this job, i dont want to strip that mofo.
Make sure you use a 6-point socket. I tried to get mine off with a 12-point and ended up rounding it off a bit, but even after rounding it, the 6-point took it off.

#20 ·
You know what's funny? I stripped my buddy Mike's sprocket nut on his zx9r trying to get it off with a breaker bar and socket. We got it off, but he had to buy a new sprocket nut. Then I changed the sprocket on my 929. It was an 8mm bolt with no washer bent over it. Took all of about 40 ft. lbs. of torque to get it off. I couldn't believe it.

#22 ·
haha, try some pentetrating oil to break the locktite

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.