Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it is like other years it comes off counter-clockwise and has a locking washer that is bent up to keep it from coming off. Make sure you bend down the washer first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
anyone changed the front sprocket on a 03 636?what diretion do you spin the bolt?mine is torked so hard..i put a board in the wheel to lock it and still could not break the sucker!!!maybe i"m going the wrong way???help please!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Why would the manufacturers make it so that it would constantly spin the nut in the direction that it needs to loosen it? Unless I'm smoking crack again the shaft and sprocket spin counter clock wise to drive the wheel, and the direction to tighten the nut should be the same direction that it turns. That way there is less chance of it loosening itself. But it could just be me trying to use common sense again.

You don't have to be faster then the bear, just faster then your friend.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That is what I thought as well. I did the little pulley drawing on a scrap peice of paper because I wasn't around the bike to try to figure it out. I don't know, I guess I will find out when I take my front sprocket off, if I ever have to. [?]

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thought the first thing on my 01. But you just have to shock the nut with a impact wrench with standard 6 pt. 1 1/4"? socket. Be careful not the strip it because I think the nut is of magnesium material?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by Liambane

Why would the manufacturers make it so that it would constantly spin the nut in the direction that it needs to loosen it? Unless I'm smoking crack again the shaft and sprocket spin counter clock wise to drive the wheel, and the direction to tighten the nut should be the same direction that it turns. That way there is less chance of it loosening itself. But it could just be me trying to use common sense again.

You don't have to be faster then the bear, just faster then your friend.
Because you bend the washer down to keep the sprocket from loosening. If that fails, the sprocket MAY loosen itself and even fall off. That's still better than the alternative. Could you imagine how much a 600cc engine at speed could tighten your front sprocket? No amount of torque could remove it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know that some shops will crack the sprocket nut for you if you arrange it ahead of time and have the cover off and be cool about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.