Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is almost over and I have a few things to do to the bike during the winter time. One of them is swapping the front of my 98 9r with a 2000 model and up. I searched in here and found minimal information. Can anyone assist me with all the information needed to do so?

Thank you,

Maurice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey I am doing the swap as we speak right now, so if you need any help, just ask bro no biggie!

·
Registered
876 Posts
didn't see this b4 but I did it last year so pm me if you need anytrhing..... I also found a sweet front fender to replace the ugly 3 piece of shit one, and you can swap the swingarm too

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by badaszx9r
didn't see this b4 but I did it last year so pm me if you need anytrhing..... I also found a sweet front fender to replace the ugly 3 piece of shit one, and you can swap the swingarm too
I am in the process of identifying all the parts needed for this swap. I am still devaiting if I should swap the cluster or keep mines - don't know yet. Also, I would like to know how hard it would be to swap the rear tail with a 2003 one. I love how those look like with a nice cowl seat.

Please post any pics that you may have in regards with the swap process and a detailed list of everything needed. Also, places where you guys bought all the parts. I have been looking on ebay with little luck.

Thanks guys!

Maurice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing, where can I buy the tool to remove the front wheel? I tried taking the front wheel off but need a special tool.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Originally posted by Raunch

I am in the process of identifying all the parts needed for this swap. I am still devaiting if I should swap the cluster or keep mines - don't know yet. Also, I would like to know how hard it would be to swap the rear tail with a 2003 one. I love how those look like with a nice cowl seat.

Please post any pics that you may have in regards with the swap process and a detailed list of everything needed. Also, places where you guys bought all the parts. I have been looking on ebay with little luck.

Thanks guys!

Maurice.
everything is/will be on ebay

to swap the front end you will need the newer gauges, as the old ones won't fit, and the new bracket for them, and you will also need the ram air assembly. the mid fairings are the same.

not sure about switching the tail section, may need the subframe for that, I didn't try it because the 98-99 looks just as good when you lose the grab bars and holes and get an undertail.

·
Registered
876 Posts
also may be selling my whole set of plastic/tank soon if your interested. depends if I decide to keep the bike or not, thinking about a 10r

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by badaszx9r
also may be selling my whole set of plastic/tank soon if your interested. depends if I decide to keep the bike or not, thinking about a 10r
You let me know man. This project will be a winter project so I stil have some time. If you are willing to sell me all the parts needed for the swap that would be great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
it wouldn't be that cheap, I'm was thinking of trying to get about 2000 for all the plastics and tank, including undertail, solo seat, rear hugger. I could part with the rest you'd need for a little more. I can get 3000 for the rest of the bike (any time, at a local dealer instead of trying to sell the whole thing), so right there thats most of the 10r.

hell theres alot of other goodies too, vortex rearsets and gas cap and whatever

·
Registered
748 Posts
[:M50]hey... make up your mind as to who is loggin in!! some of us get lost rather easily.;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Ninja Chick
it wouldn't be that cheap, I'm was thinking of trying to get about 2000 for all the plastics and tank, including undertail, solo seat, rear hugger. I could part with the rest you'd need for a little more. I can get 3000 for the rest of the bike (any time, at a local dealer instead of trying to sell the whole thing), so right there thats most of the 10r.

hell theres alot of other goodies too, vortex rearsets and gas cap and whatever
I feel you man but I am not planning on spending that much - roughly 1k or 1200. Hopefully I am lucky and find somebody parting out their stock bike and I just get the whole front. After the convertion is done, I am painting the bike black with red wheels - Something like this but with different stickers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts