Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got new tires put on and the dealer didn't have a 120/65/17 for the front -- he did have a 120/70 and said the difference between between the OEM D207 and the Michelin would be VERY slight, if anything. I didn't have stands yet, so I brought in the bike and had them mount the new rubber. My wife just picked me up a pair of Redline Stands (thanks Ian, they're great!!), and I finally went to clean the tire rims spic'n'span. ANYWAY, the front tire doesn't spin as freely as the rear, it almost seems to be rubbing on something under the fender. But it still moves, so I don't know if that is just how the front should be... do I need to take apart the whole fender and check it out, or is there any easy way to tell if the tire is too big??? TIA!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A 120/70 Michelin tire will clear the fender.

The front tire tends to drag a bit more than the rear because it has two larger rotors and pairs of pads. The drag can be made worse by improper wheel installation and pad choice.

To be sure the forks are not binding, drop the front off the stand, and then loosen and retighten the pinch bolts.

What pad are you running?

·
Registered
934 Posts
The difference between a 120/65 and a 120/70 is 5mm to the radius of the tire... This should NOT make the tire rub. If anything you may want to return to the dealer that did the work for you and see what they think.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still running on the OEM pads -- I bought the bike used from a st-ealer in '01 and have never personally put it on a stand until recently. I don't got to the dealer anymore, but I'll try bringing it down to the shop that mounted the tires. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Put the bike on front stand and pry the pads back away from the rotors. Spin the tire and see if it drags. If it does not drag then it is just the little bit of friction between the pad and rotor that is slowing it down. But the tire size should not make a difference at all.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by BSHAP

The difference between a 120/65 and a 120/70 is 5mm to the radius of the tire... This should NOT make the tire rub.
I agree with BSHAP, a friend of mine used 120/70 mez rennsports front tyres in his -00 model with no clearance problems.

If you want to check if the tyre is really touching the front mudguard, put some white chalk on the middle of the tyre and rotate it while the bike is on stands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.