Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i need a second opinion. i got my front tire changed last week, not sure on size but its smaller than stock. every time i speed up past 40ish my front bars shakes and if i slow down to about 40is again my front bars shakes a little. should i get my tire balanced or should i get a steering damper?

·
Registered
197 Posts
get it balanced start there by a motorcycle shop with a dyanmic balancer static you can do yourself also check to see if the directoin of the tire matches the direction of the rim if you are not sure the rim has the arrow on the center of the hub i rode a year on my 05 636 with out a dampner but that might only hide your problem first fix the shimmy the dampner is the best investment i did along with the pilot powers it is a whole new bike

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You put the wrong size tire on and have a problem. It probably is balancing. Putting a damper on it to make it better is like putting a bandaid on it. You need to fix the problem, not try to patch it.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,411 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie
You put the wrong size tire on and have a problem. It probably is balancing. Putting a damper on it to make it better is like putting a bandaid on it. You need to fix the problem, not try to patch it.
My man Ernie is right on the mark, as usual. :D My question is why did you have a tire mounted without knowing what size it is???? Even when you do get it balanced, the size will make a difference as far as turning the bike in when cornering. You should be aware of this difference before you go out riding so you at least know to expect it to be quicker with a smaller than stock tire (120/60) or a little slower with a larger tire (120/70).

·
Registered
356 Posts
As said, check the balancing. But also... see if the tire is seated correctly on the rim. Spin it while on a stand if you have one, and watch the center of the tire. If it lumps up and down, you either have a poor seat on the bead, or a bad tire. Check the sides as well. Usually there's a line or three right around where the tire seats to the rim. If that line wavers up and down, your tire is incorrectly seated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for responding! the front tire is 120/60 and was balanced at a shop (sorry for not mentioning). i probably go back and ask to get it rebalanced. any other helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by jaybyrd
get it balanced start there by a motorcycle shop with a dyanmic balancer static you can do yourself also check to see if the directoin of the tire matches the direction of the rim if you are not sure the rim has the arrow on the center of the hub i rode a year on my 05 636 with out a dampner but that might only hide your problem first fix the shimmy the dampner is the best investment i did along with the pilot powers it is a whole new bike
like i said the direction of the tire and rim and i think you need the spacers that cover the berings when you balance the tire and the improper seating said before

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx jaybyrd! or how we say it here much "mahalo's". ill go check out the arrow and direction of tire and go to a shop ASAP!

·
Registered
31 Posts
you cant tell the direction without the arrows. Some tires look like they are on wrong but sure enough thats how they are made. i recommend balacing if its a speed related thing. Had the same problem on a different bike a while bike with head shake about 45 to 55 an the tire just needed balancing.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Originally posted by zxkix
yup its the direction of the tire, but i couldnt find any arrows.
thanx again!
On the sidewall of the tire, there should be an arrow pointing in one direction (sometimes accompanied by the word "rotation"). I'm not sure where the rotation arrow would be on your rim (mine is on one of the spokes.

Visually looking at the tread will NOT tell you if it's backwards or not. Most manufacturers will intentionally reverse the tread direction from front tire to rear tire. I think this is because most of the load on the rear tire is due to acceleration, while the load on the front is due to braking.

I suggest you personally check the sidewall of your tire to be certain it's pointed in the right direction (the direction indicator is there somewhere).

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Originally posted by tareksaleh77
That tire is on backwards. The treads there would be pulling water into the center, rather than from the center out.
Originally posted by keithk76
yup its definetely on backwards
Your tire IS NOT on backwards. Look at most tires, and the treads on the front will look like they are backwards, but they are NOT. I promise you that these two guys that replied above me don't know what they're talking about. There is actually a reason for this, though I can't recall.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by tdahle

Your tire IS NOT on backwards. Look at most tires, and the treads on the front will look like they are backwards, but they are NOT. I promise you that these two guys that replied above me don't know what they're talking about. There is actually a reason for this, though I can't recall.
I agree. Pilot Powers are like that also. Look carfully. I'm sure there is an arrow. Not saying it's not on backwards, but you can't say it is just because of the tread angle. Some are different.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.