Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front tire is scalloping. This has happened on one of my other bikes also. It must be the way I ride but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I never had this happen untill I moved to Florida. Any ideas?

·
Registered
350 Posts
mine is doing the same thing. its doing it alot actually. I check my air pressure religously, but I cannot adjust my rebound. I think maybe the heat has something to do with it.

mine has gotten so bad that im going to have to replace it soon, but its alright, because my rear tire is almost worn out

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
scalloping? pics?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 4000 miles on the little 250. The forks are non adjustable. I'm running 28PSI in the tire.

The tire had plenty of tread left however, the tread is lifting on the top side of the tread (top during rotation) giving the scallop or wavey affect.

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
Like fish scales? if you bend a fish the scales kind of raise and then settle back in place when you sotp bending it? That can't be good. time for a new tire man.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
28 seems a bit low for the street, what kind of tire is it?

your sag could also be out of wack, what do you have it set at?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bridgestone tires. I live in Florida and it's been hot hot hot. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Bridgestone tires. I live in Florida and it's been hot hot hot. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
My BT014's scallop as well; it's the main reason I change fronts. I monitor my pressure pretty tightly (40R/38F) and don't ride that hard. I don't have any pix at the moment, since I just changed tires about 2500 miles ago...

I DO know what you mean... the symptom is front end wobble/headshake (even with my steering damper set fairly aggressively).

Not sure of the cause or the fix. If you figure it out let me know, willya?

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
My BT014's scallop as well; it's the main reason I change fronts. I monitor my pressure pretty tightly (40R/38F) and don't ride that hard. I don't have any pix at the moment, since I just changed tires about 2500 miles ago...

I DO know what you mean... the symptom is front end wobble/headshake (even with my steering damper set fairly aggressively).

Not sure of the cause or the fix. If you figure it out let me know, willya?
Wow that seems high ( 40 F/38 R) especially for your location. Never heard of scalloping...

EDit: ok googled it and it thinks its from incorrect preload, shock is worn out or incorrect tyre balancing.Good luck with it.

·
Powerhungry
37,892 Posts
cupping is another term used.

a LOT of it has to do with the tread design of the tire.

my bt014's werent to bad. they did cup, but my pilots were terrible.

so far, looks like the m3's will be pretty good.

choose a tire that has FEW treads running WITH the tire, as they will cup badly.

id bet a bit higher air pressure would help prevent it..somewhat.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bridgestone fronts are the worst cupping tires ive ever had. Doesnt matter which one. Running your rebound on the hard side will make it worse, also if your sag is high... but in the end welcome to the world of Bridgestone. :p

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I should get more than 4000 miles from the tires on a 250. I guess the answer to the problem is my son got his license a month ago and loves heavy braking and cornering. He been riding since he was 3 but now he is legal and on the road.

Riderforum had a good explanation of cupping or scalloping:

CUPPING:
Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping, is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns. This scalloping takes place within the side wear bands of a leaned motorcycle. The extreme forces that come in to play when the bike is leaned in a turn are what produce the effect and when the wear becomes sufficient, one will experience vibration and noise when one banks into a turn on a scalloped tire. The leading edge of the tread grips the road and the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression. As the tire rotates, the pressure moves to the trailing edge of the tread pattern and the tire flexes there which causes less scuffing so less material is ground off the tire. The more complex the tread pattern, the more complex the scalloping pattern will be. The softer the compound of the tire, the sooner this scalloping will become evident. Radial tires are more prone to cupping than are bias ply because the compound of radials is more often softer. Improper balance has nothing to do with "cupping" on a motorcycle tire. Improper balance will merely cause your bike to vibrate at speed. Low tire pressure will exacerbate this wear pattern and you will lose many servicable miles by running low. Check pressure often.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks soupey, I was on there just before. After I asked everyone on here I started SEARCHING (on google) and got the answers.

I guess I'm going full race slicks. No way they can cup or scallop.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
cool... that means my BS should be turning to crap soon and I'll be able to mount some better tires on the bike.

Anyone have suggestions for upgrading the tires that will work on the 250? Enzo, what are you thinking of?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts