Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You should have everything you need in your tool pouch. Only thing you might need, unless you have a calibrated elbow, is a torque wrench for install.

"I love your butt, cause it is just the right size to loose my boot all up in it"

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I disagree. I have a '96 sixxer and when I took off the front wheel, I ended up at sears more than once. Ok, here's what I bought. First of all, you might as well by a motorcycle jack. Mine cost $100 and can be used on any bike, on or off road, plus it can lift four wheelers and jet skis. It also comes with tie down straps. You're gonna need one eventually, right?

Secondly, the axle on my bike is friggin huge. I needed a 12mm and a 14mm (or was it 15mm?) allen wrench to take it off. That baby is torqued on good too, so you may want to buy a socket with an allen wrench built into it. That will help you counter turn when removing and re-installing the axle. You also need a socket with a 6mm allen wrench built into it to use on the axle clamp bolts. (Keep in mind, my bike is a 1996, so tool sizes may vary).

After the axle is removed, take off the brake caliper mounting bolts, slide the calipers off of the disc, and use zip ties to hang them to the frame. Don't let the brake lines hold the weight. Actually, remove the calipers BEFORE removing the axle. (duh)

Then all you have to do is jack the bike up, and roll the wheel out. My bike also has the speedometer gear attached to the left side, but I don't think your bike does. Believe me, when you start working on it, you'll figure everything out.

One more thing, whatever you do, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE FRONT BRAKE LEVER WITH THE BRAKES OFF THE DISC. If you do, only God himself can get the pads back apart. Good luck!:D

-speak softly and carry a big stick TR [}:)]

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
You'll probobly need a hex nut, the nuts are 17mm on one side, 22mm on the other.

I bought a 17mm/22mm combo (one on each side) piece from my Kawi dealer, though you shold be able to find something cheaper at Sears or other hardware stores..

Also right at the bottom of the forks on the front of them, there are 2 bolts per side. Loosen those up, makes pulling the axle out a lot easier :)

If you do accidentally hit the brakes, the pads will not go back in on their own, so you need to *carefully* pry them appart with a screwdriver or something similar, make sure you don't put pressure on the part of the pad that touches the brake disc, there are some grooves in between the pads you can use to push on. Remember you only need to do this if you squeeze the brake lever when the tire is off :)

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
thanks guys! anyone else with some tips? im going to try it friday or sat.....theres still time left befroe i mess it up[V]

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
oh shit! its a 01! duh...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
FU*K!:( now i have a screw in my front tire! the dude that sold me my rear said it would have been cheaper if the tire was off before i brought it to him, but i was nervous about doing it. so im going to take of my front tire off this time to save some cash.

can someone let me know if i need special tools other than the ones that came in my owners set? what needs to come off and what process too[?] im looking to get a dunlop 208zr to match my month old rear tire.

oh yeah, im going to pick it with a car jack and hang it up with some tie down straps. i know its redneck;), but i dont want to purcase a front stand. all i need is to get it up a inch or two and slide that sum bitch out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Give the loose wheel to a tire shop to remove the tire. You will seriously shag the paint if you use irons on it yourself. Its worht $15 to save the paintwork.

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
yeah, im going to take of the wheel off and have them mount the new tire on. i went to find a allen wrench at auto parts store and sears but all the had was the 17mm and not the 22mm, when i found this:

"If you really want the 22mm hex/allen wrench, or if you have an 2003 zx6r which has a 22mm on both sides, use a Craftsman 13/16" spark plug socket. It's part number #943325." -ezrachan

hell yeah! now i dont have to oder one from snap-on! fits real good! i love this forum just for this very reason. thanks:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.