Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;

Recently one of my front turn signal bulbs was burned out (2011 250R), and thus the rear bulb is solid when the turn signal is activated.

I purchased a 1156A bulb (per another forum guide), and filed off one of the nodes (as they were 180deg apart, and the stock bulb was something like 130deg apart), and when I try to use it it does not work; neither the front nor rear.

When I replace the front signal bulb with the other front bulb then all works fine; does anyone have any insight as to what could be the issue?

On another forum it says that 1156a is for the rear only, and 1157a is for the front...is this correct? There seems to be conflicting info on the topic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
The 1157 bulb is a dual filament bulb with two contact points so it is used when one bulb controls the running lights and the brake lights like the rear taillight. The 1156 is a single filament bulb with one contact point so it only handles one function such as turn signals. The 1156 however has the side pins that are 180 degrees apart so they don't fit if you need offset pins. If I remember correctly, the bulb with offset pins for the turn signals is the BAU15s, but I no longer have my Ninja so I can't check it for you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hello;

Recently one of my front turn signal bulbs was burned out (2011 250R), and thus the rear bulb is solid when the turn signal is activated.

For those who look to replace their stock turn signal bulbs once the time comes, Kawasaki lists the stock turn signal bulb (for the 250, 300, 400, 650) as 12v 10w, p/n 92069-0024, but does not list a U.S. bulb number (i.e 1157), that's because it is a European bulb.

RY10W or an Osram 5009 bulb base is a bayonet style BAU15s with 150 degree offset pins. (most U.S. bulbs are 180 degree offset pins) The stock bulb is short, approx 30 mm from the side pin to the top of the bulb.

The only U.S. bulb that cross references to this bayonet style base (RY10W) is the 7507 bulb. It is approx 45 mm (depending on the maker) from the side pin to the top of the bulb and may be to long for some turn signal housings. It is also 25 watts instead of 10 watts.

Most dealerships have the stock bulbs for under $4 each. Do a little searching for the best deal. The dealership close to me has them (RY10W) $1.00 cheaper than retail through their online store with no shipping charge to the shop. I just go and pick them up
Motivemods has them for $9.99 a pair.
CandlePower Inc. has a 10 pack for $11.67

The RY10W also fits Ducati, KTM, Triumph, BMW, Moto Guzzi, Vespa, Aprilia, & Buell/Harley Davidson (all with different part numbers of course)

BMW -#63217169203
KTM -#6011427000
Aprilia -#AP8127489
Ducati -#390.4.021.1A
Buell -#Y0042.7AA

They make LEDs that work as replacements but they may not be as bright and they are stupid expensive. Like the 7507 bulb, they may be too long for some housings. Because they do not come with built in resistors, they also will require a new flasher unit for LEDs and inline diodes to work. IMO not worth the hassle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts