Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I realize there is a tool to do this, but I can't find anything besides a mention of a Kawasaki specialty tool. Surely there is something I can buy at an automotive place to do this. I read about punching them out, but I don't see how that will work since they can be punched towards the inside of the wheel because the inner diameter is smaller creating a place for the bearing to ride... plus that damages the bearings. So does anyone have a trick I'm not thinking of to remove the bearings? Also, how much would a shop charge to swap the bearings from one wheel to another?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Howdy, I just removed my wheel bearings on both my front and rear Aprilia wheels because I had them powder coated. I ended up using a pilot bearing removal tool used in the automotive industry. There are 2 types out there. One is a slide hammer style and the other is a threaded screw type that (in this case) presses down on the wheel and pulls the bearing outward. In either case, the bearing is grabbed by the inner race and there are 2 and 3 jaw types. I ended up using both types. You can find them all over ebay....but the easiest thing to do is go down to Autozone and "rent" one. If you end up using the slide hammer type, I would definitely buy new bearings. Good luck! Rando

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.