Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm planning on changing out the front tire this weekend, I just have a couple questions.

Is 22mm the correct size for the hex key bit?
Do I need two of them to remove the axle?
Also any tips on how to remove would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
do any of you guys have a tool kit bought with the bike?

I had 2 yami's and they both came with tool kits..

sucks not to have a spanner wrench and basic tools to take off the wheels..

BTW you can buy the tool from ebay.. I went to osh and picked up some hex nuts and a bolt.. and managed to get the front wheel off. I found a nut that was 22mm in diameter.. that went over a bolt.. it costed me 3 bucks.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
go to cyclegear either in person or on line and order the axle tool for like 16 bucks, it's worth it. Front tyres are far easier than the rear.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, thanks guys. I'm going to tackle this project this weekend.

go to cyclegear either in person or on line and order the axle tool for like 16 bucks, it's worth it. Front tyres are far easier than the rear.
Yep, that's what I ended up doing. I tried looking for a cheaper alternative at sears, and lowes, but they don't have anything larger than 17mm.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The back side of a spark plug socket will also work for the hex, craftsmen 13/16 spark plug socket with an extension through it works perfectly.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
The back side of a spark plug socket will also work for the hex, craftsmen 13/16 spark plug socket with an extension through it works perfectly.
:plusone: This is what I have always used... Fits perfect. One other note ... if you are using a fork stand, be careful once you pull the axle out because the fork ends swivel ... you DON'T want them to swivel off your stand resulting in your bike tipping over. I highly recommend you use a triple tree stand if you have one.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
:plusone: This is what I have always used... Fits perfect. One other note ... if you are using a fork stand, be careful once you pull the axle out because the fork ends swivel ... you DON'T want them to swivel off your stand resulting in your bike tipping over. I highly recommend you use a triple tree stand if you have one.

along with that, never, ever try to do this with ONLY a front stand. dont ask me how i know:eek: the forks will twist, and compress, the bike will collapse..not pretty

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
along with that, never, ever try to do this with ONLY a front stand. dont ask me how i know:eek: the forks will twist, and compress, the bike will collapse..not pretty
:Laughing rolling: NOOB! :D

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
:Laughing rolling: NOOB! :D
:eek:
well, i was in a HURRY. and my rear stand hadnt came in yet. the bike didnt fall or anything. but it did give me a "wtf did i just do" moment.

ended up strapping the bars to the rafters;)

and yes, i was a noob...hell i still am..

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
well, i was in a HURRY. and my rear stand hadnt came in yet. the bike didnt fall or anything. but it did give me a "wtf did i just do" moment.

Like this?

I actually have a triple tree stand, but when you pull the triple you have to get creative.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts

The very first time I changed mine, I had mine on a rear stand and a fork stand. As soon as I pulled the axle out the fork end started to swivel ... While sitting on the floor at the front of the bike, I held the fork end with one hand and grabbed the handle bar with the other hand to steady the bike ... then did ALOT of panic yelling to get my wifes attention to come slide the axle back in while I held shit in place to keep the bike from tipping. I'm not sure it would have actually tipped since it was on a rear stand ... but it sure felt like it would have and I didn't want to chance it. Once the axle was back in ... I got the triple tree stand out and used that for taking my front wheel off every time going forward.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The very first time I changed mine, I had mine on a rear stand and a fork stand. As soon as I pulled the axle out the fork end started to swivel ... While sitting on the floor at the front of the bike, I held the fork end with one hand and grabbed the handle bar with the other hand to steady the bike ... then did ALOT of panic yelling to get my wifes attention to come slide the axle back in while I held shit in place to keep the bike from tipping. I'm not sure it would have actually tipped since it was on a rear stand ... but it sure felt like it would have and I didn't want to chance it. Once the axle was back in ... I got the triple tree stand out and used that for taking my front wheel off every time going forward.
lol ok good to know, all I have is a fork stand (and of course a rear stand :p). I'll have my dad give me a hand this weekend. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts