Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the two Allen keys/bolts that hold the front axle in on a 2001? I see that the one on the left is smaller, there is a tool in the tool kit for this one. The one on the right is a lot larger? Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know on that year, but I do know it has been talked about, so just do a search on front axle, and I'm sure you'll find it. Plus what alternate tool you can use because those sizes aren't common.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
22 and 17, but the 22 cant be found anywhere in stores just oredered. i bough the 17 at sears for $7. i used the back part of a spark plug socket as the 22 allen wrench.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Can't you just leave the axle clamp bolts tightened on one side, and then loosen the axle and pull it out?"

that's what I do...never had a problem yet....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The Kawasaki service manual will also have you remove the pinch bolts only on the right fork, and then remove the axle from the right.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
hahahahah

i can honestly say I didn't read the manual and I just tried it becaseu I couldnt find a size 22 hex...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
well when i firts tried it it kept moving on me since it was the first time it got broken loose(lock-tite)

loosening bolts on the fork help only when sliding it out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks folks. Did a search and found some additional information. The 13/16 plug socket and the tool from the tool kit worked well.

Any suggestions on how to best center/align the front wheel when re-installing?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Any suggestions on how to best center/align the front wheel when re-installing?"

you dont...if it doesn't align, your are screwed....atleast that's what my manual says on my 02 model...

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by Jdoni
Thanks folks. Did a search and found some additional information. The 13/16 plug socket and the tool from the tool kit worked well.

Any suggestions on how to best center/align the front wheel when re-installing?
I imagine your asking what's the easiest way to align the wheel so the axle goes in easy during installation? I usually get someone to hold the wheel up off the ground, and then I put the axle in (a little grease on the axle helps alot).

Like Andy said, if the front wheel isn't aligned after you install it, something is VERY wrong.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yeah I assume he meant the alightment of the wheel between the forks. Some bikes allow you to do this to a degree. But you can't on the ZX-6R. I'm assumming Kawasaki chose not to allow this for some weight savings or to keep costs down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see said the blind man! I was referring to (I assume he meant the alightment of the wheel between the forks). Thanks again guys, I see that there is no adjusting this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i couldnt find anything to fit those two hex bolts.....so I just used the head on a large bolt, grabbed it with a pair of pliers and gave it hell. Off she came! I wonder how I'm gonna properly torque the wheel w/ a pair of pliers!?

·
Registered
709 Posts
go to a place that sells metal and get 22mm hex rod. a 6" long piece is like 2.00. same w/ the 17. then use some wrenches, and the axle comes right off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.