Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend I went riding on twisties (the Bay Area's Highway 9) with an '03 R6 (guy has 1000 miles of experience) and an '08 CBR 600RR (guy has 5000 miles of experience mostly on that highway and a track day). I have 1000 miles of experience and it was my first time on the twisties.

I could keep up with the R6 but not with the 600RR who lead the whole way. With my bike's agility, I thought I'd be able to keep up. But this road has long sweeping corners very much like a track so I guess power is used more than agility. Is it just that I'm still a noob and the 600RR is very agile for its size? He wasn't even hanging off his bike while I was. True he's got more experience (and he's a cool guy), but he was riding 2-up the whole way and disappeared a few times with his passenger!

I never rode past my limit but felt like I hit my limit a few times. It was great fun, but frustrating that I really had to try while he wasn't even trying.

·
Registered
298 Posts
when you get better you will be able to keep up with the bigger bikes in the turns. there are a lot of straights on the backside of 9, so if they gun it you will be left behind. but be careful, there are a lot of cops on 9 and 35 and always be sure to put your foot down on 4-corners.

i am shocked though that you only have 1000 miles under your belt riding and your already hanging off your bike in mountain roads. be careful you don't hurt yourself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The other thing is basic physics. The latest CBR600RR only weighs about 20-30 lbs more than the new 250, and has 120/180 tires on the bike stock. That's a lot more rubber to be putting down, more grip to be had. Also, that's a 10,000$ bike, it probably has a much better quality suspension setup on it.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
why are you trying to keep up with them?

they have 3x the HP to power away

No need to ride at 100% to prove anything, ride your own ride and enjoy the roads

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Maybe you should ride with a different crowd....

"Evryzing vas going ok, untilz zome idiyot on a Kawvazaki two-feefty zlowed us down on turnz two, zree, zeven and nine zhrough zixteen. Ve vinally vere able to pazz him on ze straightawayz. He must not haz completed ze fender eliminator and brake bypazz modz yet, az ve vere ablez to pazz him wiz eaze."

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

"Evryzing vas going ok, untilz zome idiyot on a Kawvazaki two-feefty zlowed us down on turnz two, zree, zeven and nine zhrough zixteen. Ve vinally vere able to pazz him on ze straightawayz. He must not haz completed ze fender eliminator and brake bypazz modz yet, az ve vere ablez to pazz him wiz eaze."
bwahahahahaha.... :Laughing rolling:

still can't rep ya!
:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can't seriously expect to be keeping up with a bike like that, it's on a different planet to yours performance wise. It's designed to turn incredibly quickly, not safely and predictably like the newb friendly 250. It will turn very, very fast and just blast away if it gets a chance.

·
Registered
314 Posts
yes gaining more experience is the way to go. don't feel pressured that you need to go beyond your limits. its can be frustruating at times, but once you've gained enough experience you will be able to keep up just fine.:D

·
Neutered
9,656 Posts

You know that old huffy/harley joke? I think it needs to be re-written. :D

·
Powerhungry
38,884 Posts
uh....each of those guys is a noob..as far as riding exp goes.

but really, NEVER try to KEEP up with other riders.

check my sig, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE.

dont worry about trying to keep up...worry about keeping it on 2 wheels, and getting home ALIVE, and unscathed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
get some track time before you kill yourself.
I wasn't sure what should be done first, track or twisties. I heard Keith Code's Superbike School of CA pushes you and it might be better to rack up miles on my own first. On twisties I can go my own pace and I was pushing myself to execute each corner safely, not pushing myself to keep up, but that led to him disappearing in front of me a few times and of course I had to let it be.

You can't seriously expect to be keeping up with a bike like that, it's on a different planet to yours performance wise. It's designed to turn incredibly quickly, not safely and predictably like the newb friendly 250. It will turn very, very fast and just blast away if it gets a chance.
That's even when he had a passenger the whole time (And she'd never been on a bike before). Another friend with an R6 told me he wouldn't be able to keep up with a 250R on twisties, but I guess he was just being nice.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
I wasn't sure what should be done first, track or twisties. I heard Keith Code's Superbike School of CA pushes you and it might be better to rack up miles on my own first. On twisties I can go my own pace and I was pushing myself to execute each corner safely, not pushing myself to keep up, but that led to him disappearing in front of me a few times and of course I had to let it be.
Ride whatever pace you're comfortable with at a track day. Track doesn't have to be a school.

That's even when he had a passenger the whole time (And she'd never been on a bike before). Another friend with an R6 told me he wouldn't be able to keep up with a 250R on twisties, but I guess he was just being nice.

Doesn't sound like a group I would want to be riding with.

·
Powerhungry
38,884 Posts

TIGHT twisties....maybe. with a very good rider, against an average, or new rider on the 600...

but its not like the 600 ss bikes are slugs. they can turn...VERY well too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just sounds silly to compare to a 600. If your not gonna have fun in your own right then dont ride with'em.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.