Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the manual lists a 4.5 gal tank with approx .9 gal when the light comes on.
i filled up right when the light illuminated and the bike only took 2.5 gallons.
seems like i am missing a full gallon some where. does that sound right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
the manual is full of shit. the most i have ever been able to put in is 3.5 gallons. i seriously doubt that it will even hold 4 gallons. too bad, it would be nice not to have to fill up everyday.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The first time I saw the Fuel light come on, I got gas....put 3.6 gallons in it. Which is about right. I tested one day in my neighborhood, driving with the gas light on. Made it about 35 miles before it quit on me. Filled it up, 4.3 gallons at the pump.

Here is what I do, whenever i get gas, I change the trip meter back to 0. When I get around 130-140miles, I get gas. Everytime, it's not less than 3.2-3.4 gals.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I get about 130 and then the light comes on after that you have about 35 miles or so before you need to get gas.[8D]

·
Registered
335 Posts
I get about 40mpg = 132 miles and my light comes on, it take 3.3 gals avg to fill it up so that's about right if I have .9 in the tank [:M6]

·
Registered
22 Posts
some of probably only get a couple of gallons because the pump has a shut off if the fuel level gets too high. i just put the nozzle up a couple of inches, just be careful not to spill.

·
Powerhungry
37,951 Posts
ok you all want the truth??

i ran out. coasted into a station. it was actually still running at idle, but not under any load.
it took....ready for this.....4.818.

and i have on several occasions gotten 4.75, and 4.5. i run several days once the light comes on.
just went to vancouver on sunday, 216 miles, 4.5 gallons.

EDIT: and this is filled up to the TOP. as much as it will take.
i dont recommend this, unless you will be riding it after.
it will heat up and expand, making a very big mess. learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Originally posted by liqwidcool375
sit on your bike keep it level,fill it to the brim pay at the pump. You dont even have to get off the bike
That's the only way I fill' er up. Usually put around 3.6 gallon, but I try to fill up at first gas station after the light comes on. The most I put in was 3.9 g

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
So has anyone thought about modifying the tank in some way to get more gas into it? I have heard of people cutting the metal out from the fill neck to allow more gas to be put in the tank, basically filling it to the very brim where the cap is. Might give another 1/2 gallon of gas, not sure. Not something I plan on doing but I have thought about buying a second tank and cuting the top off and adding about 2 inches of metal to it to increase the capacity. Would be usefull for those loooong trips. [}:)] Haven't figured out what to do with the front plastic part tho...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by nevada
ok you all want the truth??

i ran out. coasted into a station. it was actually still running at idle, but not under any load.
it took....ready for this.....4.818.

and i have on several occasions gotten 4.75, and 4.5. i run several days once the light comes on.
just went to vancouver on sunday, 216 miles, 4.5 gallons.

EDIT: and this is filled up to the TOP. as much as it will take.
i dont recommend this, unless you will be riding it after.
it will heat up and expand, making a very big mess. learned that the hard way.
I've done this too. In metric-speak, the tank holds 17.0L according to the manual. I've put 17.9L in it before, and have managed to squeeze in over 17L a couple of times, but in all these cases the tank was very empty before, and very full afterwards.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by liqwidcool375
sit on your bike keep it level,fill it to the brim pay at the pump. You dont even have to get off the bike
I get a lot of looks when I do this.

I think they're all jealous.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was able to get 3.4 gal in it at fill up today. i tried holding the nozzle out of the tank but i forgot to fill her while standing strait up. maybe next time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I tested this actually today. Today I was riding home after a nice little ride to the Serria Mts. On my way home My light came on so I reset my trip meter. I figured that it was about 40 miles until I got home to I deceided to ride easy (55Mph. I know I was pushing it and would probely have to call the tow truck to get a free gallon of gas but I pushed on.

Basically 47.6 Miles later I rolled up into Vallero and cut the engine. Fulled her up with 4.4 Gal of gas and was on my way. I guess how you ride makes a big diffrence in gas milage in the end. I was sweating it though :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.