Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anybody have experience doing this on the CA model '09-'11 Ninja 650R?

I've found a bunch of articles/posts/threads on it, but they all kind of jump around how it's done and all sort of have different ways of doing it.

The only reason I want to do it is because I laid my bike down and it shattered the cannister. I'm pretty much done restoring the bike, but it's about $60-$100 for the cannister (OEM) and I'd rather just rip it all out and cap off some hoses for a few bucks.

Any help?

Here's the layout of the tubes from what I can see:

2 Tubes going from the tank to the some sort of cylinder thing which Kawi calls a separator
1 Tube going from the tank that's open and goes all the way down to the shifter, I'm assuming it's a breather.
1 Tube going from the evap canister to the cylinder
1 Tube going from the evap canister to the throttle body (can't tell where exactly it ends, but it looks like the throttle body)
1 Tube going from the cylinder to the throttle body
And then there's one more tube that goes from the throttle body to some sort of sensor, not sure if that's part of it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I figured it out, I took it all off the bike, reverse engineered it to see how everything worked and where it went and got the gist of it. Then I compared the tank of my bike and a euro model and figured out which tubes are additional. Please tell me if I'm wrong, here's my conclusion:

Remove the canister and separator and all tubes that are connected to the system.
The only tubes left intact should be two on the tank, (if you labeled them from left to right #1, 2, 3) tubes #2 and #3, which go all the way down to the shift lever to breathe.

On the Euro models, tube #2 has a breather on it, which you can buy for a few bucks from an OEM dealer, in fact, they use the same tubing. You can see it's cut half way through and they just put an extension tube in the middle. So I suppose if you wanted it to be OEM spec, you would buy that breather and put it inline of tube #2 (part no. 14069-1004, for those who are interested).

Now, all you have to do is plug where the tubes use to go.
Plug the one for the throttle body
The one for the air box
And tube #1 on the tank

Hope this helps someone as I was completely in the dark when I started.

DISCLAIMER: don't quote me on this. None of it has been tested or approved by anyone. It's merely based on my observation. If you're bike blows up, it is NOT my fault :) This may be the right way to do the KLEEN air mod, or it may be completely wrong. The only reason I gave it a shot was because it's cheaper than buying a new canister.

·
Registered
297 Posts
you necro-bumped a 7 month old thread for that?

humm an interesting thread since im in the same boat as he was.. Im wanting to rip mine out, but Tony said it should be ok to leave the empty charcoal canister in there. MEH... IM LAZY so until I know exactly what im doing by ripping all that shit out. ill just stay ;D

·
Registered
153 Posts
So there are no pictures of this anywhere or is my Google-fu broken? You think with all the people who have done this mod, there'd be an actual tutorial somewhere...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts