Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a Ninja 250R, loving the bike but I do have a few minor issues with it that I wasnt aware of prior too purchase.

Firstly, the fuel gauge doesn't go up past 3/4 even when it's full.

The right indicator on the back comes on an stays on doesn't blink an the right front doesn't work at all... Left hand side works fine.

That's all for now any assistance or information would be muchly appreciated.

P.s I'm the most mechanically illiterate individual when it comes too mechanical knowledge.

·
Registered
338 Posts
These are problems that I've had. The blinker problem was a bit of a weird situation, I never definitively figured it out, but my guess is that it's moisture in the connector, I applied some dielectric grease to the connector ages ago, and the problem stopped. This, in spite of having plugged and unplugged it multiple times since and not having put any more grease in.

The gas gauge, is a current problem that I've got. I haven't really bothered trying to address that, but that's likely the result of either excessive resistance on the circuit, or possibly, the float being somehow bent. Checking that isn't terribly hard, you can drain the tank, remove the fuel sending unit and inspect. The resistance for full should be somewhere between 4-10 ohms when the float is in the full position and 90-100 when the float is in the empty position.

As with any of the electronics, if you've got a bad connection, or there's moisture in the connector, you may see weird results. Some dielectric grease in there is likely to be helpful as well.

Personally, I've been too lazy to fix this as I tend to just fill up every 150ish miles or less when I'm on longer trips. Which is more miles than I like riding without at least stretching my legs anyways.

EDIT: Also realize that due to the shape of the tank and the fact that motorcycles tend to lean, if you don't have it completely straightened up while filling, you might just not have a full tank. The first quarter tank disappears off the gauge much quicker than you'd expect. Empty seems to be at about 1 gallon left, but it's questionable range at that point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts