Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what's going on. I noticed this before I swapped my old engine for one with real low miles. When hit the front brake somewhat hard, it tends to shoot a bit of fuel out right in front of the radiator. I really don't think it's brake fluid or coolant as after it happens it smells like gasoline (no mistake). I checked my fuel hoses and there aren't any brakes or tears in any of them, and I'm just having a difficult time figuring out what is going on, and it's VERY difficult to figure out where it's coming from. Frankly it makes me nervous. Right after I saw this happen yesterday, I drove it home, and parked it until I can try and diagnose it as gasoline in a hot engine area isn't a good combination.

Anybody have problems like this? Or anything even similar?

And last but least important.... does anyone know how to get the carbs to actually stay in those little rubber boots coming out from the airbox? Over time, they seem to slowly get pulled in the direction of the engine, even with those little "spring-ring" holders.

Any help on one or both of these problems would be greatly appreciated. Help with the first issue would be great, but with either, I'd be very grateful.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i would check your tank and all hoses for leaks. also, does the level of the tank have any effect? like is it more frequent when empty or full? as for the rubber boots on the carbs, i always replace those crappy spring things with hose clamps from home depot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I suggest you to remove the tank and look for leaks near the front end of it. maybe something has made a hole to your tank.. maybe if one or two of those rubber thingys which help to prevent the tank of making contact with your frame has fallen off and covered a hole, hope you find the reason soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I figured out where the gas is coming from, but now I have no idea what to do. The 2 hoses (red and blue labelled) near the forward right portion of the tank are hooked up to those little metal pipes, but the little metal pipes aren't hooked up to anything! I only bought the bike a couple of months ago and haven't ridden it frequently due to a engine that needed to be replaced, so I can only assume the hoses were gone before I bought the bike. Now my question is... where to I route those hoses? I looked under the seat at the diagram, and it's showing that they should be going to a canister of some sort... But it says nothing about it in the clymer manual, let alone pictures of where it is. The clymer manual is great to usually give you a good idea about what things look like, but can skimp in some areas such as this one. Where should I be routing these hoses? I figure, the quicker I can get them hooked back up, the quicker I can get back on the road.

I live in seattle, so I've got a good few weeks of fairly dry comfortable ride time left if I can just get this fixed. :D Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
try ronayers.com for a parts diagram. maybe that will help. your bike could be a california emissions model. you could probably just connect the 2 hoses together with a vacuum hose adapter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They are there for the California emmissions. They go up and into the fuel tank so just connect them together with a peice of fuel hose or puts plugs on the end of them. Also, don't fill your tank to the top. Stop before the fuel gets to the filler neck

·
Registered
415 Posts
maybe, have the same problem, i lose a lot of fuel too:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts