Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i left my bike out for about 2 years, didnt prep it for winter neither. now that i came back to the states, i tried turning the bike on with a booster. i have 2 problems, i hope someone can help me with. after the bikes turns on from the boost, once i take out the booster the bikes dies, this can be cause from the alternator, but the bike is an 03 with 3k miles. can the alternator go bad this early? the other problem i have is that once i got the bike started fuel started leaking form the airbox. apparrently a small hole had developed, and will leak at a higher rate when the i turned the bike on. can i just get a new airbox and this will fix the problem? is all this things normal? thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
a few things.

bike don't have alternators. the stator needs battery power to work. your battery is probably junk. go to a bike shop, spend $30 on a parts unlimited battery for the ninja, and have the shop prep it properly. it'll save you money in the long run over a $20 walmart battery.

my guess is the drain in the airbox is just that, a drain, leave it be. your float in your carb is stuck open. try hitting the carb bodies with the handle of a screw driver. it's only been three years, they should be too bad.

if you can drain your tank. make molatov cocktails are something with the lacquer that's in your gas tank. fit up with fresh go juice. but some dry gas in there, so that way it hopefull dry up any moisture that may have leaked into the tank after three years of rain and snow.

by the way, if banging on the carbs with the screw driver handle doesn't work, i'd suggest learning how to do a carb rebuild, because that's the next step.

good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. but i have some questions, after putting new gas in the bike, should i leave the bike running while i bang on the carbs ? thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
don't thank me unless you fix your bike.

you should hit the carbs with the engine off at first. the problem is your floats are stuck open, so instead of being an air/fuel mixer, your carb(s) are working like a fuel dump.

if hitting them doesn't shut the float, try it with it running, but standing over a motorcycle with gas pouring out of it is never a great idea. unfortunately, it'll need to be on at some point to free it up.

i don't know of many shops in nyc, but you can try calling lbracing (i believe rob's in brooklyn), if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i tried to put in some new fuel but the key wont work on the gas lid, apparently the pins for the lock are stuck. i trtied taking the screws that sorround the gas lid and tried taking it out that way, but i couldnt. is it possible to take out the gas lid by taking out the screws ? thanks

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
jeez, that one's new to me. sorry, i can't help you with that one. sorry...

i would think that you would be able to pull it up from the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.