Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 miles / 160KM's is what I get. It's very low...I try to ride normally but I still get bad mileage. That's how it is I guess :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
What is the average mileage everybody is getting out of a 636? Or the miles that I can expect to see on my trip odo before my low fuel light comes on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I`ve got an 02 636 and i get between 125 and 150 miles to a tank before going onto reserve. Don`t know if the 03 tank is smaller or the carbs better. That`s riding quite hard most of the time.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I know that they say the 03 gets like 40-45 MPG or something like that
but I get FAR less than that. My 03 636 eats up gas more than any other 600 Ive ever had.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Around 28mpg - my bike sees a fairly hard life in the twisties, it isn't a commuter (basically ever)... I know I could stretch it out (a lot) on cruising highway rides, but we don't really ever do those. But as a point of reference, in my regular riding group which includes everything from R6's to older 6R's to Gix 750's to TL1000R's to Gix 1000's and 954RR Hondas, my bike DOES seem to be one of the first to run to the fuel light... oh well...

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I get between 30-35 mpg in the city and about 45 mpg on the highway on my 2003RR. Mileage varies on your speed,gear(rpms)and repeated stops. For example riding at 50 miles per hour in 3rd will burn gas more than riding 50 in 6th.

·
Registered
120 Posts
it seems like i can go 100 miles and then the light comes on, but when i fill it up it only takes like 2.2 gallons? i thought the tank had 4+ gallons

·
Registered
61 Posts
OK I have been doing personal mileage checks on bikes since I owned one (we often don't stop for traffic cops where I am from)

My 2001 ninja used to go 120 miles before reserve...then I'd have another 30 on reserve

the 2003 636 goes between 100-110miles before the light comes on, then if I do moderate riding I can get 30 miles from the light if I do a lot of Hi RPM riding (burns gas quicker) then I get only 15-20miles after the gas light is on.

I let my gas run out completely 2 times....when this happens your bike will slowly decelerate then shut off...you can wait 10 seconds then start it up again and it will let you go for about a quarter of a mile then cut off again....it will let you do this 3 more times....then it won't start at all....I tried this twice.

so basically from my experiments a mixed ridden 2003 636 (hi and low rpm's) will do about 100miles before gas light comes on...then about 20miles extra.

I have rode exatly 149.8 total miles on a filled to top gas tank on 93 octane gas before it was completely empty

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have no Idea. I hope not. I mean it should not have any adverse effects for running outta gas. Like a car I guess just gas up and go...right?

Also I know friends that do that so they can put a diffenrent kinda octane in their bikes like 120 octane

Originally posted by FMAN_DTF

isnt it really bad to run it out of gas like that?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Best mileage I have had is 290km (181mi) and I belive the worst to be around 170km (106mi) and this is until empty. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage though

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The bike shuts itself off to prevent the fuel pump from going dry. Keep starting it after that and you'll kill it.

I get about 180 to reserve and the 20 to 30 after that with normal riding.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Originally posted by Ben-Diesel

It's actually GOOD to use up the gas becuase you will deplete water from the tank cause by condensation.
Hmmm... I think that water is actually more dense than gas and would always be at the bottom of the tank anyway.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I rode from Southeast NM to Las Vegas a few weeks ago, and was going an average of 100 mph pretty much the whole way. A few times topped out at 170. I got around 150 to 160 miles before my light kicked on. Once I think it actually went to 175 before coming on. I rode the whole way in 1 shot, about 800 miles, and I would not suggest that ride to anyone who does not have a fat comfy ass. I was literally bruised afterwards. In town I probably get around 120 before it comes on. I guess bikes differ no matter what you do.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler Durton

What is the average mileage everybody is getting out of a 636? Or the miles that I can expect to see on my trip odo before my low fuel light comes on?
My light comes on after about 75 to 80 miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.